acetic acid and benzene

EXPLORER

Hi..how are you doing?, I have this question that been bothering me.I know that vinegar dissolves in benzene, and I found out why, but still not convinced.This drive me nuts.

The answer I found is that there is a hydrogene bond established between two vinegar particles.But, where is the reaction with benzene ?! as it's the solvent .If there is an equation for this , plz help me out.Thanks

I`m no good at orgo chem (never studied it) but I`de like to know what the end result would be called between the 2 together, does it React, or does it just mix?

I know benzene (like Phenol) can be Chlorinated or Nitrated for instance, in a 2,4,6 config usualy, (Tri/di)Acetyl-benzene? maybe?

Thanks Skye and YT2095 for your sharing.I think that acetic just mingle and disappear in benzene without any reaction between them . So , there is no connection between them.Like the air , it's a solution , though there is no reaction between gases .Just mixing.

But the question still , why does acetic acid make a hydrogene bond with itself in benzene ?and how it connects with each other a lone outside bezene?

Carboxylic acids exsist in an equilibrium state between a dimer and a monomer. So acetic acid in general has a certain degree of association as it is. When you put it in benzene it nearly dimerises to 100% extent because now there is no external H or O attracting it to form a hydrogen bond unlike there would be in an aqueous solution. The result can be proved using the Vant Hoff factor for non ideal solutions.

• 2 years later...

enthanoic acid will dissolve in benzene but not because of it's so called hydrogen bonds. yes it has an OH bond in it so it will dissolve in polar substances but since it isn't very acidic and the rest of it's hydrocarbon chain is very non-polar, it is able to dissolve in the non-polar benzene. Dissolving does NOT mean it will react. it might react with benzene (though that is very doubtful) but if it did, that would require a catalyst and it would not be called dissolving, it would be reacting.

"I know that vinegar dissolves in benzene"

I'm pretty sure that something that is over 90% water will not dissolve in benzene.

Acetic acid will mix with benzene and the simple reason is "why not?". I think that it stays largely as dimers joined by H bonds, like the vapour, but I may be mistaken. There are no particularly strong bonds between benzene molecules so there's nothing to stop a pair of acetic acid molecules getting in there.