Why run from the police?

NavajoEverclear

In police chases you watch on the television machine-- the car is driving very fast away from the police. The car is being reckless------ why?

As long as you stay within the main flow of traffic, there's nothing they can do to safely stop you, so why be more unsafe than neccisary? Plus it wastes gas to go so fast. Why speed away? Why not just drive away?

And if such a humorous event does occur how long would it take to end it? till the gas runs out? If such a thing has not ever been done, i intend to do it within my lifetime. Easy to instigate--- just cut off a cop, then do stupid crap right in front of him. Once he turns on his lights, start driving safe and normal. Keep on driving until the laughter is so terrible that you have to pull over.

Stingers are long strips of plastic with little nails in it. The strips are held together in a concertina and can be thrown across a road. The little nails puncture small holes in the tires that let the air out gradually. As the air is lost from the tires the car slows down considerably. Stingers can only be used on open stretches of road with no other cars, so criminals tend to stay away from long open stretches of road.

That's not to mention in the US cops will shoot people in cars that are attempting to evade, and do so for a significant amount of time. Avoiding being shot is probably high on the drivers mind while running from the police.

That's not to mention in the US cops will shoot people in cars that are attempting to evade, and do so for a significant amount of time. Avoiding being shot is probably high on the drivers mind while running from the police.

What the heck! Cops can't shoot people for running here. They just charge you with the felony 'evading arrest' after the catch you. They may try and shoot your tires out as a last resort, but on the highway they can count on spike strips, and in a city they can count on heavy traffic to slow you up.

And YT, yea. I don't know why people run because when they get a helicopter over heard, you're not getting away, even at night.

oh yeah, road blocks, but how do they do that if there's traffic on the road? as the police car drives past, cars will pull over to the shoulder, but think about the direction you're going. The people ahead don't know to pull over till later, and so if you keep good pace, there will always be people around you.

I cant believe i didn't think about heavy traffic. with that people are already stopped, so stopping everyone else obviously isn't a problem in this case. So i'd not do it there. Moderate traffic , to traffic that is heavy, but not at standstill.

Um yeah, that shooting thing isn't going to happen. That's point of driving normal and driving with traffic. If they shoot you, other people are going to die when you spin out. One, i didn't know that was legal at at all, but that, along with the nails, cant happen if other cars are around. Thats the main basis of the experiment.

What do you think you could acomplish with an evading formation? like ten cars evading, and one regular car held hostage by surrounding it. Again we aren't going fast, so it's not really dangerous. Of coarse you'd have to get lucky and select a hostage that's not going to panic and do something to mess up the formation. You know there'd be some common sense lacking people that'd just go crazy then slam on their breaks, or try to get away when i they can clearly see it will cause a wreck.

Maybe you could do hostage try-outs to screen out the dopes.

Hmmm.. that last line of questions is somewhat dubious, what on Earth are you thinking here???

other than the fact you`de prolly get a LIFE sentence for taking a hostage as well. running from the law in a car is Futile, taking Hostages is even worse! THEN you may almost guarantee getting shot at (and probably to kill!).

when people are guility of something they just try running..... the alternative is to just give yourself in.

the kinda people who commit a crime which gets police attention like this, are the kinda people who think that they can 'outrun' police cars and helicopters.

whilsts it is probably pointless running: that kinda person would think 'may as well try'

however us normaly people realise that these attempts are pretty pointless.

Yea I was going to mention him, but I didn't think anyone outside of the U.S. would have seen it. That was insane.

yeah, it was on one of those cheesey "Worlds Worst <fill in gap>" shows.

after watching it though (and it`s implications were quite frightening!) when he took the bullet, I couldn`t help but think , that`s GOTTA HURT! even if only for a sec or two.

Sometimes running away does help I supose. I am sure at some point of time someone must have managed to cross the border while being chased. That would keep you safe. But if you are not near the border, then it seems only to delay the inevitable.

Maybe you could do hostage try-outs to screen out the dopes.
Maybe you could do thread tryouts the same way! :D j/k

If such a thing has not ever been done, i intend to do it within my lifetime.
Is this because the Guinness Book of World Records people have already taken the good stuff, like squirting milk out of your eye and running snakes from your nose to your mouth?

Here's an idea for you, why don't you skip the vehicle, since you could end up injuring others, and just challenge the cops to a footrace instead? They've got all that equipment, like guns and batons and mace and handcuffs slowing them down. I'll bet you could throw a brick at one of their cars, then hoof it down a trail too small for their cars to follow, and see how long it takes them to catch you.

Keep us all informed, of course.

when people are guility of something they just try running..... the alternative is to just give yourself in.

the kinda people who commit a crime which gets police attention like this' date=' are the kinda people who think that they can 'outrun' police cars and helicopters.

whilsts it is probably pointless running: that kinda person would think 'may as well try'

however us normaly people realise that these attempts are pretty pointless.[/quote']

yes but i'm not one of those people. I'm asking if my idea would work, and for how long. My motivation is not to escape, but to take evasion to the limit, and i think safety precautions will extend the possibility.

Phi-- well i think i'll save this task for when i'm old and senile, so that it doesn't matter if get put for life. Hell maybe i cant convince them to take me no worse than a mental hospital. that could be a potential blast. Hopefully i wont hurt anyone with my idiotic quest. Remember the plan was to be as safe as possible, so that the cop has not safe way to stop me without harming others. I'm assuming cops will have this in mind and not do something stupid in frustration

However i really enjoy the footrace idea. Has it's own novelty to it. But cops are pretty fast runners (they're supposed to be in shape aren't they?), so i'd have to train. And i will most certainly keep you posted. However probably the only post-evasion-mission notification i can give you is if i succeed in a degree that wins me a spot in world news.

What the heck! Cops can't shoot people for running here. They just charge you with the felony 'evading arrest' after the catch you. They may try and shoot your tires out as a last resort' date=' but on the highway they can count on spike strips, and in a city they can count on heavy traffic to slow you up.

[/quote']

Yeah, that's what you get from my combined experience of American police chases being limited to buddy cop movies, TJ Hooker and 'worlds worst police chases III'. :D

That tank chase was a bit harsh tho, shooting him in the back just as he ceased to be a threat. It was comedy up to that point.

I don't know why people run because when they get a helicopter over heard, you're not getting away, even at night.

I grew up in Southern California, and there used to be a car chase every other week on TV. Choppers everywhere, but many times they do get away -- we (the U.S.) apparently don't have any sort of extradition agreement with Mexico, so once they cross the border, they are scott-free.

I actually use to run from the cops all the time when I was a teenager and I only got caught once. The trick is to run before its obvious they are after you. If you are speeding one way, they are going the other way, and then suddenly you see them do a U-turn you know they are coming after you. But if you make a quick right and make a bunch of random turns throughout the neighborhood you can most likely loose them. If they do find you, you have to pull over, but you can claim you had no idea they were after you. It was alot of fun as a teenager but I don’t think I would risk it now.

apparently its still legal to drive a tank in britain in any public road. As long as the catterpillar tracks are fitted with rubber pads , the firing mechanism is disabled and the driver has a normal license... I saw it in a documentary. the guy was driving a tank around tower bridge.

That guy in the tractor tank was so awesome, but i keep thinking, how would i have done it to increase the chaos and destruction? How can i improve upon his idea? That's what gets me up and going in the mornings. That, and three of those newfangled, half-sized cans of coke. They are soooooo cuuuuuuuute!

believe it or not, some people run from the cops just for the sport.

Check out getaway in Stockholm if you haven't.

Anyhow, there is a couple of rules to evading police.

1) If they've seen your tag, pull over

2) If not, find a curvy road

3) Maintain 90-100mph on curvy road.

4) find dark driveway

Now, this only works when they get behind you, or if you pass one oncoming who decides to turn around. In the latter case, a quick check of math will tell you if it is possible. If you are traveling at say, 90 mph, a mile and 1/2 in a minute, and a cop see's you from the opposite lane, he must deccelerate, turn around, and reaccelerate to higher then 90 mph to catch you. Which can be done, which is why you get off the road asap, or increase to about 120, 130, and watch out for deer!

It was fun when I was a teen, but I think I'm probably the last generation that can run from the cops the way we used to do. Nowadays, helicopters, night vision, and just the sheer number of cops make it a stupid decision to run.