Density Column help, please!

Guest gimpythehors

Guest gimpythehors

Hello,

I need help with making a density column. I need four liquids that I can put into a container, shake, and have them all return to there separate layers. I have corn oil, and water. I have tried alcohol, other oils, and household cleaners, everything I can possibly imagine in my house but everything mixes with either the corn oil or water. I do not know what else to do, I am desperate. I cannot use anything flammable or too toxic. Please help.

Thank you, Brianna

You could use syrup for the bottom layer. I'm not sure what you could use to top the corn oil, probably the only choice is ethyl alcohol or the like.

If someone happens to have heavy water (hydrogen-1s replaced by deuterium), you can really annoy your friends with "hey, I bet you 5$ that this ice cube sinks when I put it in the water glass". :)

you could do it easily if it wasn`t for the shaking part, since polar molecules are somewhat limited in diversity, I think 4 is pushing it! :)

if you didn`t have to shake it though, different concs of sugar syrup (you can even color them) and you can make several layers without a problem (think Cocktails).

Hello' date='

I need help with making a density column. I need four liquids that I can put into a container, shake, and have them all return to there separate layers. I have corn oil, and water. I have tried alcohol, other oils, and household cleaners, everything I can possibly imagine in my house but everything mixes with either the corn oil or water. I do not know what else to do, I am desperate. I cannot use anything flammable or too toxic. Please help.

Thank you, Brianna[/quote']

I like the idea of mercury.

Anyway, try this site on "layering liquids".

http://www.terrificscience.org/lessonexchange/genchemPDF/LayeringLiquids.pdf

The problem with gallium is that you'll have to keep the cylinder somewhat warm so that it doesn't solidify on you, plus gallium will "wet" glass so once you shake it up you'll just have a cylindrical mirror. Mercury, though kind of toxic, would be the best thing to use.