Issue with the plot of The Matrix

Sayonara

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behold... the power of CHEESE!!!!!

And yes... our Philosophy class had a lot of fun arguing this same point. Is it really that BAD if everyone lives 'fake' lives in the Matrix. And I concluded 'no'... only as long as the feelings are true stimulus.. and NOT a dream-like state.

• 8 months later...

Old topic.

My friend and I used to be obsessed with The Matrix and I've seen it over 20 times. Anyways I'm bored at work and I feel like talking about the Matrix cause I feel under appreciated for my extensive viewing of that damn movie.

I think the idea is that once you see the fields, and see what the human race has been reduced to, you're in such a shock from the whole ordeal that you immediately have an urge to rebel against the machines. As for Morpheus he's just a maniac. He's a classic freedom fighter. Most rebels don't believe in mutualism and will fight to the very death for what they believe.

And yeah you're right, it is just a story and it is fun to analyze but the plot is quite simple.

Even the machines themselves say the Human race is a "virus" who doesnt form an equalibrium with their surrounding environment. If this is so, the humans are obviously offering more evidence to that by not being mutual with the machines.

And besides, if you really think about it, being naked in a bunch of pink goo is not the way to live your life, even if the matrix is a fun program. Even if it does produce "reality" through the brain, it's still not life. Also, the machines suck because they try to kill Trinity and Trinity looks damn good in tight leather. In fact, they tried to kill lots of humans during "the war." If they hadn't tried, there wouldnt have been any war. The machines needed energy, and they also thought "wow, humans are digsuting" so they killed and enslaved us.

The machines arent giving the humans the matrix as part of a plot to keep us happy while they use us, so that we can be happy. They keep us in the Matrix to keep us unaware of what's happening, and to keep us from rebelling.

Sayonara³ said in post #33 :

Why the hell would you bump a thread that was started and last replied-to in february then say "old topic"?

:confused:

:haha:

Seriously though - I think " Matrix Reloaded " was the funniest comedy movie I have ever seen.

I dunno man, I was bored. I wasn't exactly trying to bump it up, it just happened to be a thread that I wanted to post in, since I still like the first Matrix.

Reloaded I didn't think was too bad, it just wasn't the same as the first. I think a lot of people had expectations about it. Looking back that rave scene in Xion, I thought that was pretty cool. On the downside they used way too much of that CGI shite. I knew they were gonna do that though, because they used it for the Animatrix. I hate the CGI Neo, he looks like a freak.

Definitely looking forward to Revolutions to see what they do with it. Hopefully there will be lots of bullet time and less CGI and more elaborate martial arts sequences. The martial arts sequences in Reloaded had to be one of the weakest points of the movie, they were just lame.

Matrix Reloaded is my favorite movie of all time. It was like they jammed a 4 inch needle in the back of my skill, downloaded everything that makes me happy and made a movie out of it.

Morpheus is the man. That sword stuff was rad. The Neo pole fight was insane. And the white room... I'm fairly sure the brothers ODed on some hallucinogen or other before coming up with that plot. No kidding.

All in all, Matrix rocked every movie I have ever seen... until Reloaded. - Revolutionary in every single aspect. Cant wait till Revolutions...mmm...

LOL

M:R has my favorite song in it and, to me at least, its fight scenes were far superior to any movie I have ever seen. I like the fact that guns were not used much because Neo and the agents were pretty much immune.

Matrix Reloaded was not original, revolutionary or groundbreaking in any way whatsoever.

There is _nothing_ in that movie that has not been done before.

If you think The Matrix was original I suggest you watch Dark City.

The only redemming feature of M:R was that it had a mix of Rob Dougan's "Furious Angels" as part of the score.

Then you should aspire to be more widely read so you can passively absorb the rules that make plots work :P

In all honesty I think I am possibly just a more demanding viewer than you are, but you have to ask yourself why The Matrix needed any sequels, and why nothing in M:R was mentioned or hinted at in the first film. Occam's razor suggests it's extra stuff they just made up in the intervening years, and tacked on to the story.

alt_f13 said in post #39 :

M:R has my favorite song in it and, to me at least, its fight scenes were far superior to any movie I have ever seen. I like the fact that guns were not used much because Neo and the agents were pretty much immune.

Guns, in the first film, hid the way the W brothers can't direct an action sequence.

I like films of that nature, yet Reloaded bored me to tears, both in its fight scenes and the dull, repetitive philosophising.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

Then you should aspire to be more widely read so you can passively absorb the rules that make plots work :P

In all honesty I think I am possibly just a more demanding viewer than you are, but you have to ask yourself why The Matrix needed any sequels, and why nothing in M:R was mentioned or hinted at in the first film. Occam's razor suggests it's extra stuff they just made up in the intervening years, and tacked on to the story.

Well the Matrix really didn't need any sequels at all, but the ending was rather open ended. There were so many loose threads, and although they could have been left up to speculation, I prefered having it explained. It lets you guess at the nature of everything, but also gives you its own interpretation.

For example, who was the oracle? How could she predict the future? Why was Neo able to do all this so well?

You always discovered new things about the matrix world and are always left with new questions. I'm liking how Morhpeus thinks its the year 2200 or so, but there have been 6 cycles in the matrix, all of them ending with 23 people to restart Zion. With a population of 20000 or whatever, Zion is several generations old times six. So this movie is actually set in the far far future.

Also, is there a whole planet of people in the Matrix, or just a huge city? All the evidence I've seen points to just one city. That is extremely intriguing.

And in the end of M:R.. what the hell was that? I REALLY want to see the third after that. It sounds to me like the 13th floor. Matrix inside the Matrix.

Plus I wanted to see Zion. That in itself was worth the production time for me.

So whether I am demanding or not, the movies work for me and are my favs of all time. I like everything about them. Neo-gothic, post-appocoliptic style; the fact that hackers make up much of the rebel force (implying the the world is going to be nerdified if not run by people with a certain cyber-affinity); awesome music (Fluke - Zion w00t); phylosophy of a multilayered, cyclic existence with a single unified solution; the insane ammount of symbolism.

Like I said, it is as if it was written for me.

And Keanu and Carrie-Anne are both Canadian!!

What we referred to as the real world in The Matrix is almost certainly just another simulation. But if it is, then the time scale of the Zion populations (250,000 people) could also be simulated. It could be 2009 in the "real world", with everything we have seen running as a program on a desktop PC.

The film was a house of cards, with the Wachowski Bros cramming in any good idea they could find regardless of how the overall structure handled it. Not all of the "revelations" in Reloaded can be true, so it's inevitable that Revolutions is going to have some sort of reset button ending. They could have saved us all a couple of hours by cutting out the whole film up to the point where Neo stops the sentinels using nothing but his enormous mentalist powers.

You're right about the repetitive philosophising. Ughhhhhh. When Neo was talking to the Architect I actually started having a seizure.

jk.

By the way though I don't see how the guns in the first film hid the fact that the W. brothers cant direct and action sequence. The lobby scene was cool as hell. Just because guns were involved doesnt mean the action sequence wasn't good though, it worked perfectly with the guns.

I think maybe the problems with the action sequences in Reloaded has to deal with the fact that in the story, Neo knows he's the one, so he lacks effort? I dunno, it just seems like anyone he fights from now on is not worth the effort.

I dunno. first, I liked the first one. Then I didn't like it. now I like it again. But there's no way I'm liking that second one.

the second one was too forced, more put out there to give stupid people what they want, since there are more of them. Not to say the movie was for stupid people, just I didn't like it;)

why do we still have no :thumbsup" emoticon!