How come herbivores are muscular?

Hello people. I am new here. I couldn't find a topic like this so please go easy on me if there was indeed a discussion earlier.

When I watch nature channels, I wonder how come the herbivores like rhinos and hippos are so muscular. I don't think their size can be all fat. Or is animal fat non jiggly? It is understandable if large cats are muscular as they would be hunting all their lives and will be physically fit but even with them, some younger adults who haven't quite yet started hunting look very muscular!

What do you think is the reason? Do these animals unlike us get muscular "naturally"? Anyone having experience watching them up close?

Hello people. I am new here. I couldn't find a topic like this so please go easy on me if there was indeed a discussion earlier.

When I watch nature channels, I wonder how come the herbivores like rhinos and hippos are so muscular. I don't think their size can be all fat. Or is animal fat non jiggly? It is understandable if large cats are muscular as they would be hunting all their lives and will be physically fit but even with them, some younger adults who haven't quite yet started hunting look very muscular!

What do you think is the reason? Do these animals unlike us get muscular "naturally"? Anyone having experience watching them up close?

It's not all fat it's mostly muscle, they get their muscles from their life styles, traveling large distances, infighting, competition for food and resisting predators. I'm not completely sure why you think herbivores are somehow more muscled than they should be, they are as muscular as they need to be....

It's not all fat it's mostly muscle, they get their muscles from their life styles, traveling large distances, infighting, competition for food and resisting predators. I'm not completely sure why you think herbivores are somehow more muscled than they should be, they are as muscular as they need to be....

His assumption is based on the belief that animal protein is necessary to build muscle. Vegetarians are often asked what they do for protein and told that they can only get it from foods like beans, nuts, dairy, eggs, etc. (and dairy and eggs are animal protein). Do the amino acids in grass provide sufficient protein for large herbivores to develop extensive muscle? Is there something different about their digestive systems than that of humans? I have heard that cows, for example, can digest large organic cells that humans cannot because cows have multi-stage digestion. I suppose this is why Moses permits eating any animal that "chews the cud" in Leviticus or whichever book of the bible the dietary rules are described.

Edited by lemur

Herbivores require large digestive systems needed to extract nutrients from their bulky, nutrient-poor foods (grasses etc) which, in turn, require large skeletal systems with which to carry their digestive systems which, in turn, require large muscular systems to move them around (especially when chased by carnivores).

Some herbivores (cows etc) obtain proteins by digesting the bacteria produced within their digestive systems (which also requires larger digestive systems). Some herbivores (horses etc) have digestive systems that don't produce or digest bacteria, so they require a diet containing proteins (oats and other grains). Having a lighter digestive system (and skeletal and muscular systems) is probably why horses can run so fast and why people ride them (except for Mongo in Blazing Saddles).

BlazingSaddlesMongo%20small.jpg

Carnivores require small digestive systems (and the light lungs occupy most of its torso) which, in turn, require light skeletal systems and, consequently, light muscular systems.

asiatic_cheetah.jpg?w=200&h=172

Edited by ewmon

Herbivores are muscular than carnivores only in some aspects. Generally, its the back leg muscles which are often used to make powerful jolts to escape predators.

There's also things such as climbing and reaching which some herbivores have to do every day to get food.

Edited by steevey