Can You Crack The Code

jwillyg

I'm working on a geocache and it's kicking my ass! Please help solve it. Here is all the info from the cache page...

Space the Final Frontier…

“These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its five year mission: To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before."

On a mission to the Geocache Nebula, Captain Kirk and the crew of the USS Enterprise find out the ship’s supply of Dilithium Crystals is depleted. A safe flight home is in great jeopardy.

After repeated distress calls to star base for more crystals, a location is sent. However, it is intercepted by a Romulan Star Empire “Bird of Prey” equipped with a cloaking device encrypting the message.

Now grab your phaser, dodge the plasma torpedoes, and begin your mission. Find the coordinates and the supply of Dilithium Crystals.

dmxnskujnkuhsupmtamfbaguhnif dmcizfytdzytcxguhndzmgcxjnkbjs gucofjbuifjgynsbplrizplooeasogsu goupgeuabkejaspnpuifkbbehjifdm msiuxgjhagmfgairnwurxruspltyfp gvhjzrvismmgmjuxfmdofmmpgzvf pnvismfehiupjgsuhjfpgvivfmridzkl

dzkwezfjsunguaosmpmhsw

any help is appreciated.

You are expecting coordinates like N 32 06 51 74 W 81 09 14 40 (for example) , that means 2 series of 8 numbers.

The message is made up from 8 sets of characters (8 "words"). Each set is divisible by 2 (there is an even number of characters in each set).

So that each set could represent 2 numbers. Just a supposition.

It is supposed that the Star Trek story should contain some indication, but I don't know how.

I don't think it is substitution - no pattern matches dilithium, which I would guess would be included; nor congratulations. there is only one possible way coordinates can go in and it makes nonsense elsewhere. if there is any longish word or phrase that you think is likely to be there let us know

I don't think it is substitution - no pattern matches dilithium, which I would guess would be included; nor congratulations. there is only one possible way coordinates can go in and it makes nonsense elsewhere. if there is any longish word or phrase that you think is likely to be there let us know

Did you try the Klingon word for Dilithium?

I don't think it is substitution

Agree. It does not look like basic substitution.

It could be substitution on the basis of some phrase like "To explore strange new worlds". It has 25 letters, the english alphabet contains 26 letters , and letter Q is missing from the riddle, so it could fit. but I cannot find any solution right now.

Using YdoaPs method I found the original source - well I assume it is the original.

The layout is a bit suspect (ie it's not in fives and why are linebreaks where they are)

dmxnskujnkuhsupmtamfbaguhnif dmcizfytdzytcxguhndzmgcxjnkbjs

gucofjbuifjgynsbplrizplooeasogsu goupgeuabkejaspnpuifkbbehjifdm

msiuxgjhagmfgairnwurxruspltyfp gvhjzrvismmgmjuxfmdofmmpgzvf

pnvismfehiupjgsuhjfpgvivfmridzkl

dzkwezfjsunguaosmpmhsw

There is also a line missing in the OPs message - the first half is (I believe) geocache argot for non-geocachers, whether the second half is a joke or a hint to the solution I don't know

Klingon muggles have been seen in the area, beware! The use of the Vulcan nerve pinch might be needed.

Maybe it is Clingon.

That's a good call. I have no intention of trying it out - but it would be a nice code to set.

I think it has to be fairly simple; once you get beyond substitution things get very hard, very quickly. I once cracked a playfair cipher for a competition run by NOVA - it took me a couple of weeks AND I had knowledge of a three word phrase that was included (actually a choice of two phrases). If the cipher isn't simple, then I would guess, both the cipher used and a hint must be in the text given and for the life of me I cannot spot it.