Question concerning the roles of dopamine

Hi everyone,

I am reading about parkinson's disease and all, and obviously there is dopamine. So after what I read, dopamine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which means that it stops the impulse. So by having a balance between acethylcolin and dopamine, the movement can be controlled (correct me if I said something wrong).

Now my question is, dopamine has this role in movement, however, I read that it also has a role in motivation and all that stuff. So what is the diffrence between these two types of dopamine?

Are both "types" made in the substantia nigra? Do they both go to the striatum?

Thanks in advance.

Dopamine is affected by just about everything. I don't know much about how it is involved with parkinson's, but interactions between neurotransmitters is little understood. Dopamine and Serotonin are part of virtually every emotion, reaction, feeling, addiction, etc. But what I would assume is that dopamine allows the muscles to relax. This is not a different form of dopamine than any other, but just looking at the dopamine levels to balance something else. But like I said, I don't know much about the parkinson's and how it interacts with the desease.

I don't think there are different types of dopamine. If there is any difference in the action of dopamine at different locations, there might be a difference in the receptors as is the case of epinephrine which acts differently on alpha and beta receptors. I do not have much knowledge about dopamine but I think the basic principle would be the same.