Which part of the brain to shoot

Mystery_of_GodST

There is a part in the back of the brain, the lower back, that I think controls heart function

The medulla oblongata controls heart function, and it's NOT located in the lower back. It is in the brain stem, which is actually below the cortical regions. Your description implies it's in the occipital lobe or in the lumbar region of the spine.

if a bullet pierces too much and cleanly travels through the brain, hitting things like the cortexes for cognitive thought and memory which occupy a large part of the upper region of the brain won't do much

Damage to any of these areas (the frontal cortex, the amygdala and hippocampus, for example) would very much do a lot of damage. Your comment implies a lack of understanding of these systems.

i mean it will, it will cause brain damage that will take 10-30 years to heal, but it won't kill anyone.

First, brain damage often doesn't heal at all... ever. It depends very much on the specific circumstances involved. Your comment is wrong. Second, people die all of the time from damage of this nature, especially when there is no mechanism or community to provide the care that these patients can longer provide for themselves after such injuries.

Edited by iNow

The medulla oblongata controls heart function, and it's NOT located in the lower back. It is in the brain stem, which is actually below the cortical regions. Your description implies it's in the occipital lobe or in the lumbar region of the spine.

Damage to any of these areas (the frontal cortex, the amygdala and hippocampus, for example) would very much do a lot of damage. Your comment implies a lack of understanding of these systems.

First, brain damage often doesn't heal at all... ever. It depends very much on the specific circumstances involved. Your comment is wrong. Second, people die all of the time from damage of this nature, especially when there is no mechanism or community to provide the care that these patients can longer provide for themselves after such injuries.

I think you took the "doesn't do very much damage" out of context, I meant that in reference of actually killing someone, of course shooting someone in the head will greatly impair them in some way. There's plenty of documented cases where people get shot in the head and survive, and it's because the parts of the brain vital to running auto-somatic processes don't get damaged and they get treated fast enough. Your brain does heal but it's very complex which is why it usually takes 10-30 years. Sometimes it doesn't heal, sometimes it heals in less than 10 years, it depends on how much damage is done.

With the "not getting proper care", I think that's more to do with the blood flow, not necessarily the actual damage to the brain itself, because if you lose too much blood you just die, if there's too much blood in your head that means its leaking out and not actually reaching your brain cells and it just slows everything down or the brain is compressed by the higher pressure, sometimes enough to die. Your head has a lot of blood vessels in it so it's more likely that if no vital part of the brain got hit that you'd die from hemorrhage, not from actual damage to brain tissue. That's why the pierce is important. If a bullet just cleanly pierces through a non-essential part of the brain, there isn't as much room for blood to leak out and it may just be enough time for paramedics to get there, but if just the side of someone's head get's destroyed, they will pretty much lose too blood instantly and the brain will instantly begin to shut down.

Edited by SamBridge

• 2 months later...

I have locked the thread as this sort of discussion is not suitable to an anonymous internet forum.

If you are serious - talk to friends, family, teachers, your physician or general practitioner, community or religious leaders, or the samaritans; you can always contact the samaritans for a simple chat either through your local branch or on 1 (800) 273-TALK.

there are always people ready to talk - you are not alone