Dying in your dreams

Mr Rayon

I'm pretty sure that if you die in a dream you wake up from a nightmare. Perhaps not always though.

I guess if you have a really weak heart the fear from a nightmare might be enough to induce a heart attack, but other than that it doesn't seem like a dream could kill you. Or maybe if you dream that you're jumping off a bridge but in reality you're just sleepwalking.

Is it true that if you are sleeping and you have a dream and if you die in that dream that you die in real life?

No! To confirm that someone has died because of a dream, we would require some evidence, direct or indirect, as confirmation from the dreamer. After nearly four decades of general study, I have not reviewed any credible evidence of dreaming as a cause of death while sleep other than deaths due to injury while sleepwalking. During an earlier age of investigative ignorance on the causes of death, the myth of people dying because of a dream likely got its start as an explanation for deaths occurring amid sleep without any outward sign of injury.

Dreams are how our brain synthesize or interpret activations in the brainstem that occur amid sleep. These activations are a result of vestigial metabolic neural processes associated with prolonged periods of physical inactivity. The memories we have of dreaming form as the sleeping brain arouses to wakeful levels of activity. Those memories are how our waking brain interprets what it believes it experienced as a result of the activation in the brainstem occurring during the sleep process.

Edited by DrmDoc

But does it still hold if you die in a dream and are spiritually released as a soul? Would the soul not then have to die as well? I've had a mix of dreams some involving my death. Some I have woken up before death, one I was left immobile in a dessert as a spirit for 50 years. Most often my death in a dream causes me to time shift because in my dreams I am a network of individuals that are linked over a span of thousands of years. Only once have I died and only faded to black, I was shot not unlike Cap' and I am still here.

I see dead people.

In my dreams I often "see" people that I have known and who have died. In my dreams they are alive and I enjoy meeting them. I don't know that they are dead. I take this as quite a natural thing as all generations in my family older than me are dead. However I don't see corpses thank goodness.

Is it true that if you are sleeping and you have a dream and if you die in that dream that you die in real life?

no this is not true. even if it were, there is simply no evidence to support that theory.

however, many people believe dreams and nightmares can be interpreted as messages from our subconscious. for example, having reoccurring dreams about yourself dying could relate to a phobia of death that you have in waking life.

I am brand new here, so forgive my incredulity, but aren't we all going to die in real life?

Fryja

Well apparently this is a myth, The cause of death from simply dreaming is non factual grounds of determination. But as stated uptop, a severe nightmare could possibly induce a heart related death. But as reinstated before it's believed to be you'r subconscious, And possibly making you aware of certin thing's in your life you may be unaware of.

• 3 months later...

I had a dream I was being chased by giant man eating frogs which came from a crack after a rattling earthquake. They followed me into my house, found me hiding in my bedroom closet, and the first frog that got to me opened his gaping mouth reveal several rows of jagged painful looking teeth. Just as my head was far enough into his mouth to see pitch black I woke up.

My final thought on this is: It is completely possible, but I believe it would depend on circumstance. For instance, if an old man has a dream/nightmare that scares him enough maybe he could have a heart attack.

As for your brain believing you've been shot in the heart; I find that hard to believe.

• 1 month later...