Burning Hydrogen

i dont think that i will loose my hand doing this, im not using that much of the stuff, also, should i turn the cup up right, or leave it face down?

there will be hydrogen and oxygen, and i dont want it to escape, do i assume that its best just to leave it down, so none of the hydrogen can escape.

is this safe indoors?

i would have thought so with smallish quantities.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well before you light it it`s perfectly safe, so put it in a safe place 1`stly and move slowly as you don`t air turbulance to dilute your mix.

then either get a long stick with a lit match atatched to it and use that, or get someone stupid to light it for for you :)

I`m joking with the last part :)

hmm, this is getting harder, i will have to put it on the concrete or something, coz the table might melt [plastic] or my wooden one might get really burnt or something [thats a proper wooden one, not an experimental one!] then i'll have to make some kinda tripod stand [i dont have a tripod] so i'll just make one outta, hmmm, something! any ideas what to make a tripod out of? then i just get a stick and light it.

or get someone stupid to light it for for you :)
i'll just go and get my brother.
I`m joking with the last part :)
what was that? i missed that part...

that bit was actually quite funny!! ROFLOL so they say! :D

no no no, the wooden table`s just fine :)

the reaction is that fast there`s no time to burn the table, the cup will split and maybe melt a little in a few places, but not enough to make a fire on your table, trust me on that one, you`re more likely to make a burn mark with the match on the stick when you drop it after the bang during your involuntary poo session :)

no YT, i was referring to 5614 with the hydrogen trick...my professor doing it in class was enough for me to say, hell no.

the WD-40 trick is good man, and unless your an idiot, you hold the can on a slightly upright position. so that the flame doesnt reach the can. and even if i coated the can with starting fluid, it would not touch the flame, as it stays a good 4 inches from the can at all times. hot air rises, and so do flames, dont want to get burned? stay below the flames...

ok, so lets see here....burning a gas, which expands to fill its container, whatever that is, extremely flamable, completely consumed in a firery blaze in under a second....or, a controlled flame thrower using mildly flamable oil and pressurized gas. its a tough one, but considering i can't control the expansion of a gas, i'll stick to point and spray.

I once decided to electrolyze some water, and I caught the hydrogen and oxygen in a sandwich baggie. I wasn't expecting much, so I lit it in my basement. BOOM! Really loud, more than I expected. Encouraged by this, I decided to do it again, but with a gallon baggie and do it outside. Sounded like a shotgun going off. Ah, chemistry is fun.

Yeah. When you have the proper stoichiometic ratio of reactants, as you would get when you electrolyze the eventual product, the reaction proceeds at an incredible rate and with a loud result. What's even more frightening is if you have some platinum wire and put that at the end of a long stick, then put that platinum wire inside the hydrogen/oxygen mixture. It will immediately go BOOM as the platinum catalyzes the reaction.