Earth electron absorption ability

Simpleton

What gives the earth the ability to absorb large quantities of electrons. For instants discharge from lightning rods. Is there an electron deficiency? If so, why?

Please a Thank you

I would guess that the ground offers less resistance than a better insulator. So, for example, lightning only goes through the air because the voltage builds up to a level that exceeds its ability to insulate and contain the charge. Once the charge reaches a voltage that exceeds what is insulating it, it continues along the path of least resistance until it reaches a better conductor. Apparently the ground conducts (and therefore dissipates) electric charge better than the air.

I assume this is also the reason lightning emits visible light. I.e. so much energy builds up within a small area of air because it is insulated by surrounding air. Thus the molecules the energy does animate are propelled to a very high temperature, which causes them to glow and conduct energy to the next set of receptive molecules, which also heat up very fast and so on until the ground is reached. I guess the only other ultimate destination for the energy besides the ground would be outer space, but a vacuum is an even better insulator than air, so what option does the energy have except to go toward the ground? Sometimes, I think lightning can go between clouds as well, though, presumably since the water in the cloud is more conductive than the less humid air between the clouds. I'm not completely sure about this but it seems logical.

What gives the earth the ability to absorb large quantities of electrons. For instants discharge from lightning rods. Is there an electron deficiency? If so, why?

Please a Thank you

Lightning strikes occur because of a charge differential between the clouds and the earth. So either an electron deficiency or surplus has occurred.

No problem understanding that. Thank you for the answers. Should have left out the lightning part and simply asked "I there a general electron deficiency". Looking at the earth as a basic system, rotation, the molten core and the magnetic field, I would expect that the earth as a hole should always be fairly charged but I am for some reason under the impression that it is always hungry for more electrons.