What was Your Best Ever Christmas Gift?

jimmydasaint

I was six years old when I had my best ever Christmas gift. At a few times in my life, I have had nothing. Absolutely nothing. Barely enough to get by on. This was one of those occasions. My father's business had collapsed and the cupboards in the kitchen were getting bare. My mother warned me that there was going to be less food and I did not expect much from Christmas that year.

On Christmas day, we had a Christmas tree that had seen better days. Some cheap Christmas lights brought some relief to the grim walls. I woke up without expectation but my mother smiled at me that day, her face revealing lines of sacrifice and ageing before her years. She pointed at the corner under the Christmas tree and whispered : 'Santa left you something'. In the subsequent excitement, my heart raced as I quickly ran over to the tree. Underneath the drying leaves, there was a small parcel wrapped in cheap paper with a Yuletide theme. As I opened the parcel eagerly, I could not hide my delight: a pencil, a pen, a pencil sharpener, a ruler, an eraser and a protractor. It was the best Christmas gift I have ever had. Subsequently, I received the usual 'man' gifts of aftershave and handkerchief sets etc.... but nothing matched that Christmas!

My mother ended her life of sacrifice 3 weeks ago, and I didn't get a chance to say thank you for that day, but I did get a chance to express my love and utmost respect for her, which, I suppose, is better than nothing. God Bless you mother. We will meet again.

Anyway, what made YOUR Christmas special guys?

Edited by jimmydasaint