aluminium powder

Guest nuttyman2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aluminium foil isnt pure aluminium it is'nt even close if you burn aluminium foil you will see a plastic covering aluminium foil isnt any real use so use an aluminum can, if you look on the side it will have a triangle with the words alu in it to confirm its an aluminium can

All I need is a goddamn magnesium ribbon, some rust and pyro grade Al powder. :) It's thermite time!

Edit: Lance, I cut some into tiny pieces with scissors. :D It didn't work out too well, but it would have been perfect for an alkaline drain cleaner/Al-foil bomb. :)

Hehe, my chemistry teacher showed it to us. It was brilliant. It nearly wnet wrong as well! She placed the magnesium ribbon in, and lighted it. But, by mistake, it fell over and burned the filter paper instead. But, we still got to see the reaction! I wish I could see it again!

Do not put aluminum on a bench grinder, it will melt and ruin the stone. What need is emery cloth http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=emery%20cloth and a small block of aluminum. If there are any machine shops in your area, go see them and ask them for a few drops. Those are the leftover chunks of bars. The only way you can get powder is to sand it, and it is going to be messy. As you sand, the aluminum powder will stick in the cloth. It will probably take you a day to make a teaspoon full of it, so I hope you are patient.

You can make it faster if you have access to a belt sander. (http://doityourself.com/store/6236152.htm) You can probably rent one at a rental center. This one even has a dust collection bag. However - you have to be very careful, these machines will eat your fingers. You will want to hold the aluminum against the sander with a pair of insulated pliers, because the metal will get very hot. Do not wear gloves - the machine will catch the material and pull your fingers into the machine.

The cheapest and least labor intensive way out is to buy a can of it at a marine supply store. You can buy it online at $8 a can from Defender: http://www.defender.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?catalog=750413&frames=yes&store=yes

and aluminum can only has a thin layer of tin on its much pure then using aluminium foil like you sujested and if you want to make thermite an aluminum can works two reasons i know one there is a program called rough science where in one of the episodes he used an aluminium can to make thermite and two i have made it my self from an aluminium can