Electrolysis of Water

Benjamin8998

I want to know how much power(kh-hr?) would I need to convert 1 liter of water to oxygen and hydrogen.

Also I know that adding salt helps speed up the process, does anyone know what concentration leads to highest production level of gases. And if salt has any effect on amount power being used for 1 liter of water' electrolysis.

Thanks guys look forward to interesting replies.

Ben

15.89 megajoules per liter of water, or 4.4 kilowatt-hours of electricity. Of course it depends on the equipment used. With modern super secret catalysts based electrodes it takes a lot less. With crappy little bare wires, it takes more.

15.89 megajoules per liter of water, or 4.4 kilowatt-hours of electricity. Of course it depends on the equipment used. With modern super secret catalysts based electrodes it takes a lot less. With crappy little bare wires, it takes more.

Could you guide me to one of those super secret catalysts system. They probably have those patented, I would like to read more about them and and their power/energy consumption. thank you very much for your input.

Ben

FX you are right i also want to tell the same thing.

I want to know how much power(kh-hr?) would I need to convert 1 liter of water to oxygen and hydrogen.

Also I know that adding salt helps speed up the process, does anyone know what concentration leads to highest production level of gases. And if salt has any effect on amount power being used for 1 liter of water' electrolysis.

Thanks guys look forward to interesting replies.

Ben

Where are you from?

Any ideas on how long it will take to complete electrolysis of 1 litre?

I suppose it depends on the practical design of the equipment and that it could be done instantaneously if all energy required for 1 litre can be applied at once (in 1 second, which is about 4kWh).....or if you apply less energy than that it would take proportionately more time.....e.g. if only 4Wh of energy is applied, it will take 1000sec (about 16.6min) to complete electrolysis of 1 litre of water.

Is this about correct?

Edited by ciberkon

• 2 weeks later...