Is there an indoor tree ideal for cats to lounge in?

andrewnel

I have a bengal kitten who loves to lounge in high places. I've thought about getting a cat tree, but I really don't find them aesthetically appealing at all. I was wondering if it's possible to plant an indoor tree that is nontoxic to cats and also strong and durable enough for him to lounge in/climb. Does that even exist? He will be about 15-20lbs so it will need to have strong branches. Also, the easier it is to take care of, the better.

I'm thinking concrete tree. It can be quite realistic, except the leaves. Potted plants can be placed at some parts.

As for real trees, I would think very few will fit the requirements. indoor conditions varies , different light levels.

A popular indoor tree is a ficus. If you have some money, you might be able to buy a big one, which is already quite old...

Another random suggestion: An Olive tree.

But a tree that's strong enough to hold a cat needs branches of at least 1 cm, but preferably a lot thicker. Those trees are quite OLD... especially if you measure it in cat-years. Even in the garden, such trees are at least 5-10 years old. It's not going to be easy to find those in your local garden center.