The mind of a terrorist...

What I was saying was I don't think anyone but you has made that assertion. Al Qaeda has not claimed alliance with insurgents in Iraq, the most the organization has done is support one Islamic priest.

The ongoing investigation of the Madrid bomb has failed to produce links to Iraq, so lets assume they have more information at their disposal that we do.

I'm not really sure whether I'm completely at odds with everyone here, but I don't see all terrorists as being archetypical third world religious lunatics. Alot of the people involved in 9/11 weren't of this type, and many of the people captured by the anti-terror drives in SE Asia have been well educated middle class people. Here's a news item on an study of al-Qaeda and a few affiliates:

http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA5E4.htm

I'm not really sure whether I'm completely at odds with everyone here, but I don't see all terrorists as being archetypical third world religious lunatics.
You aren't at odds with me Skye. I was hoping someone would step up to the plate and say that.

It is very comforting to think of the terrorists as being brainwashed, unwashed, undeducated, unthinking zealots. We can recognise someone like that: put a label on them and we are half way to stopping them!

The excellent article you have linked to makes the point that many of these are almost the reverse of this stereotype. Tecoyah provided a one word explanation earlier in the thread - desparation. It does not have to be personal desperation. It can be desperation for ones people or ones beliefs. In that regard the terrorist is displaying an altrusitic concern for his own family/culture/society, which is why within that framework she will be regarded as a heroine.

A final point that may offend some, so I shall put it in personal terms to try to reduce the offence. If I am ever on a plane that is hi-jacked please do not allow any part of the media, or any politician, refer to me as an innocent victim. In voting as I vote (or even worse not voting), in living the consumer life style I do, in focusing on my life, my needs, my wants (where 'my' includes family, friends, and fellow Economist subscribers), I have lost all entitlement to be considered innocent.

• 2 weeks later...
Its a religious motivation...the only sure way to heaven in Islam is to kill non-muslims and/or die fighting Jihad. I believe the main motivation of Islamic terrorists is fear...fear of an uncertain future...fear of hellfire. Hellfire and a painfull doom is basically all the Qur'an talks about.

The only kind of fear, we Muslims were taught was to fear God and Him alone. Adding 'Islamic' before terrorists is not going to make them any more islamic than making republicans 'honest' or britney spears, 'modest'. And to say that the Quran basically talks of hellfire and painful doom is like saying special relativity only talks about mass increase. I would suggest you read the book first before judging it.... ~60% of the Quran talks about righteousness, respect, morality, worship, committments, belief and reason. I could quote many verses to support these, if you want... and this can be done in pms, since I dont want to turn this thread into a religious riot. just wanted to clarify the matter... please dont generalize all Muslims and put them in the same pot. There is a very good majority of the Muslims (like me) who loathe terrorists and condemn their actions... regardless of their motives. Killing innocent people is wrong is wrong is wrong.... and I am quite sure that apart from the Quran, the Bible and Torah also agree with this.

-mak10

A final point that may offend some' date=' so I shall put it in personal terms to try to reduce the offence. If I am ever on a plane that is hi-jacked please do not allow any part of the media, or any politician, refer to me as an [b']innocent[/b] victim. In voting as I vote (or even worse not voting), in living the consumer life style I do, in focusing on my life, my needs, my wants (where 'my' includes family, friends, and fellow Economist subscribers), I have lost all entitlement to be considered innocent.

And if im on that plane as well i will shout "there he is the infidel,capatilist afront to allah...Burn him"

A final point that may offend some' date=' so I shall put it in personal terms to try to reduce the offence. If I am ever on a plane that is hi-jacked please do not allow any part of the media, or any politician, refer to me as an [b']innocent[/b] victim. In voting as I vote (or even worse not voting), in living the consumer life style I do, in focusing on my life, my needs, my wants (where 'my' includes family, friends, and fellow Economist subscribers), I have lost all entitlement to be considered innocent.

Good old randomised guilt.

Get over the liberal guilt trip, i thought that decadent rubbish had died with the 1970's.

We may not be innocent in the same way as unborn children, but simply participating in life doesn't make us guilty of anything. In comparision with a hijacker i certainly consider myself innocent.

:cool:

What goes through the mind of a terrorist?

>Sense of helplessness and a need for icknowledgement and they are strongly dependant on eachother like as each muslim were to be like 'brothers' .

They are all very political people as they opinionate and judge situations on just about everything , we are different as we are encouraged not to attain this attitude and behaviour towards our lifestyles .

This is simply because it's unethical for western countries to believe this is how everyone should be and on the other , doesn't pose a good image, where as the muslim terrorist generally is a very tense person with many frustrations about life who you don't want don't want misunderstanding you or your faith & belief and tends to have no worries about his image as long he is within his faith & beliefs .

There was once a time when government outlawed free speech once because they were afraid of such people , now if the government is afraid of something he can't get away with it by by gaffing the mouths of it's people , the muslim countries tend to overthrow the government if they suspect anything wrong with a regime ..

What would make someone kill others just to try and get a ransom which they are not even going to get?

I take it this is an independant question hence the mention of ' someone ' NOT terrorist .

Simple , If the ransom isn't paid , then someone is going to get killed , isn't this the way it works if demands aren't met

I haven't finished reading the rest of the posts here ,so before I change any of my ideas in regards to the original thread , I'll just say what I can here.

Why would someone commit a crime like robbing a major bank, or killing a high profile person.... when they are obviously not going to get away with it!

>Simple , if one has nothing to lose then why are you going to care what happens next ,

if you were to rob a bank or kill someone , the first thing that will be going through your head is that you everything to lose .

Why do people bother killing others, when in the end, its gonna be at their expense?

>Same question as above .

What motivates a terrorist or criminal?

>An angry sentiment towards a country , person or need , say if one were to be lacking in money and not happy about it then he has every intention to rob a bank or if one to despise a country for being to prideful and selfish towards the rest of the world then terrorists have every intention to react to it .