What should I do over winter break?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Right. Winter break is coming. It's a month long. I have a few books to read, a few things to fix on SFN, a poetry generator to fix up, but nothing that'll occupy me full time for the entire break.

So. What should I do? Give me a:

• Book to read
  • Thingy to build
  • Hobby to start
  • Program to program
  • Book to write

I have limited access to transportation (family car) and a small budget. Make a suggestion and have the satisfaction of knowing you've determined how I stave off boredom-inspired insanity!

• Book to read: Ben Goldacre: "Bad Science".
  • Thingy to build: a LEGO robot controled by a simple neural network that drives around without running into walls.
  • Hobby to start: vegetarian cooking with/for your girlfriend/family.
  • Program to program: I do have a few ideas for projects of B.Sc. level in statistical physics, the CUDA one probably being the best-suited for someone without access to serious CPU power. The idea is pretty much guaranteed to work, but you'd basically not get anything out of it.
  • Book to write: "Establishment in the box": the best conspiracy theories of the last 5 years of sfn.

You are in Texas right? If so shooting "something" springs to mind. I know all Americans love their guns ;)

All we have is a very old smoothbore musket. Not sure December is the best time for hunting. But in our neighborhood, I could just sit on the back patio and pick off the deer...

• Book to write: "Establishment in the box": the best conspiracy theories of the last 5 years of sfn.

This would be awesome.

All we have is a very old smoothbore musket. Not sure December is the best time for hunting. But in our neighborhood, I could just sit on the back patio and pick off the deer...

Is it true that if you shoot a burglar on your property you get a cash prize from the Sheriff?

I see you are only 19 so loosen up, chase a girl or two (if that suits your orientation), get some boogie time in. You will only be young for a relatively short time. Perhaps you already have a permanent partner. If so ask them to accept my apologies!

• Book to read: 'Divine Hiddenness and Human Reason' by Schellenburg
  • Thingy to build: particle accelerator
  • Hobby to start: parkour
  • Program to program: skynet
  • Book to write: 'What I did over winter break'

Edited by ydoaPs

Become a master "musketsman" I guarantee you'll be one of the first since 1812. Think of the potential resume!:

-Bachelors degree in physics.

-Operated online science discussion forum

-Can hit tin can with musket at 100 meters.

I would hire you. If for nothing else, your patience and determination.

So. What should I do?

Book to read - "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer

Thingy to build - Something of wood that you need/want in your home, such as a small table

Hobby to start - Birdwatching

Program to program - Sorry, can't help you there.

Book to write - "The best and worst of the people I've known"

I have to agree with TonyMcC, go chase girls. Get out and live a little. Go for picnics in the forest, walks in the woods.

Explore. There is a creek about 10 miles from my place that has the most amazing quartz fragments in it's bed, they're like frozen milk, so pure white. I spent 4 hours yesterday walking up that creek looking for the scource, just to see it with my own eyes. I didn't find it so I'll go back again, and again, until I do.

Or try exploring here. http://mystonline.com/en/ A totally free online game. You cannot fight or kill, nor can you be hurt. The purpose is to explore, solve the puzzles and have fun.

If you enjoy reading, then "The Making of a Prince" is full of useful tips and tricks. ;):D

I have to agree with TonyMcC, go chase girls. Get out and live a little. Go for picnics in the forest, walks in the woods.

I agree. Explore nature. Don't trust women unless they're inflatable or worth the risks. (if you don't understand all the risks, stick with inflatable). If you can get one that's not inflatable to walk through nature with you, do that and don't mention anything about inflatable women.

Edited by lemur

Unfortunately I don't have reliable transportation -- whether I can drive anywhere depends on what my parents are up to, and we live in a large neighborhood, so I can't just bike out to somewhere awesome. I'd like to avoid sitting at the computer the entire break, but I don't think I can get out as often as I'd like.

On the other hand, I may try a project I can build and test outside -- like a spud gun -- and then experiment with. I happen to have here a copy of Backyard Ballistics that I've never used...

If you can get one that's not inflatable to walk through nature with you, do that and don't mention anything about inflatable women.

Damn. Too late.

Book to read: The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead. (It is really funny. By the end of the book you will almost wish there was a zombie attack because you will feel so prepared.)

Thingy to build: The spud buster sounds fantastic, but only if you will post at least one youtube action video.

Hobby to start: Watching bread mold. I did this once accidentally. By the time I discovered it, I am pretty sure the mold civilization discovered aircraft.

Program to program: Something to do with zombies.

Book to write: "I Never Did Mind the Little Things: How to Stay Sane in an Insane World". The best way to teach is to live it...