Has the universe existed forever?

I saw a story today about a theory of the universe where they examined the Cosmologic Microwave Background and determined that it means the universe may have existed forever!

http://www.economist.com/node/17626874

Their analysis shows that the universe may start very small then get large until it is eventually devoured by black holes and loses mass and becomes small again. This cycle repeats over and over for all eternity.

I have always wondered if the universe has just existed forever. It is one of those questions that science may never answer until it is too late, but it is fun to think about. I know religious people who ask me what is the scientific answer for if the universe existed forever or where does it come from, and I have to just shrug and say I don't know. It would be very interesting if science could give us answers to these pressing and in some ways deeply philosophical questions.

Interesting link. Especially about the massless universe.

"If all particles in the universe were massless, then, the universe would look to them to be infinitely small. And an infinitely small universe is one that would undergo a Big Bang.' from your link.

Thought provocative.

at the beginning

I've written plenty about this.

if you are interested then google around

you should have no trouble finding stuff

Ah, I see. Time itself has a beginning. Or to be more specific about when that was, it was at the beginning. But if I want any more detail than that I need to go elsewhere. Ok, thanks!

It would be very interesting if science could give us answers to these pressing and in some ways deeply philosophical questions.

Science says that everything is energy, and that energy cannot be created nor destroyed.

In my understanding, it means that energy existed forever.