Separating KClO3/O4 from match heads

Aspirin

Greetings

I've been reading a few posts down about separating KClO3/O4 from match heads. i get it all except for this part

4. Boil it some more, until the potassium chlorate/perchlorate starts to form

i dont get it.

Will the boiling create some big blob of this stuff or what.

Thnx

LP Aspirin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they sell non-coloured matches in Slovenia, you should use them (I used green ones, and I think the dye is the main reason for the chlorate's impurity). Also, if you see lots of yellow stuff forming on the surface of the liquid, you might want to filter it again because that's sulfur and stuff. :) And if you have pyro grade aluminum powder, and a ball mill or something to grind the chlorate into fine powder, you might want to test if you can make flash powder of it in a ratio of 7 chlorate / 3 aluminum (by weight). Magnesium powder should work fine, too.

Btw, if you can replace aluminum with magnesium in a flash powder mix, could you replace aluminum with magnesium in a thermite mix?

Unless you are able to heat it with a temp of about 50 C to vaporate the last H2O on a plate or something where it's easy to scrape off, just let it dry in room temp. Or, you could mix the sugar/whatever you're mixing while it's still wet.

Except in the case of Alu powder, DONT mix that when wet! LOL :))

you could pour it all into a flat based glass tray and put it in the oven (not Microwave!) on low for a short while then scrape it off with a credit card or something too :)

I'll try again later today cuz i'll go to the super market and buy a case of matches. I was a little short this time.

just 1 question. I used matches which had a redish brown head. Are these ok.

don`t worry about your height, being short shouldn`t matter if your Chem is good :)

the red/brown type sound like safety matches (the box usualy has a red phos strip on the side). those are perfectly fine to use :)

anyway ladies, I``ve gotta go and do some gardening in the pouring rain now, so I`ll see ya all a bit later :)

don`t worry about your height' date=' being short shouldn`t matter if your Chem is good :)

the red/brown type sound like safety matches (the box usualy has a red phos strip on the side). those are perfectly fine to use :)

anyway ladies, I``ve gotta go and do some gardening in the pouring rain now, so I`ll see ya all a bit later :)[/quote']

I'm not short. :)

i'm 194 cm......i think that's pretty normal for a 15 year old don't you think. :D

LP Aspirin