Cops and athlets

Anura

Yes, Law Enforcement has tremendous power and the law should be quick to not only police themselves they should be held to a higher standard and get the maximum penalty when they abuse their power.

I don't give a rats ass about professional athletes. Over paid little boys on steroids, the mistake is idolizing these assholes. Once you give them the power of being an idol then they have power over and above any reasonable means over anyone who idolizes them. We give them that power so it's as much our fault as theirs when they turn out to have clay feet.

I apologize to the athletes who are good people, many of them are, but we give them too much power and glory and it goes to not only their heads but ours as well, in many cases and it makes them think they are above the rest of us in some way... The worst part is many people feel they are above us too...

Edited by Moontanman

Do you think they deserve special treatment when they commit a crime?

Yeah, the cops have a very high rate of criminality so we should do more to discourage that, and I hear athletes are physically fit and can run fast, so when we jail them we might need a few extra precautions so they don't escape.

Yes, Law Enforcement has tremendous power and the law should be quick to not only police themselves they should be held to a higher standard and get the maximum penalty when they abuse their power.

I don't give a rats ass about professional athletes. Over paid little boys on steroids, the mistake is idolizing these assholes. Once you give them the power of being an idol then they have power over and above any reasonable means over anyone who idolizes them. We give them that power so it's as much our fault as theirs when they turn out to have clay feet.

I apologize to the athletes who are good people, many of them are, but we give them too much power and glory and it goes to not only their heads but ours as well, in many cases and it makes them think they are above the rest of us in some way... The worst part is many people feel they are above us too...

VERY well put.

Yeah, the cops have a very high rate of criminality so we should do more to discourage that, and I hear athletes are physically fit and can run fast, so when we jail them we might need a few extra precautions so they don't escape.

Easily solved.

cool+police+car+10.jpg

And let's not forget the flip side of that. The greatest gold medal winner gets caught with his face in a bong, and what does he do? He apologizes and begins the public relations rehab to recover his "image" with appeals by every sports pundit that he has a duty to society to be a role model.

Look at Micheal Vick. He did jail time for his crime, and then he had to agree to a high, restrictive standard of behavior before he could be admitted by the NFL in order to look for a job with a team. The rest of us aren't held to that standard. There is no outer shell we have to penetrate to then be allowed to put an application in with an employer because we went to jail for torturing dogs.

You're right that we should not look up to them. But I feel your ire is misdirected at athletes. They didn't do this - we did.

Google News has Miley Cyrus's bong episode 5 stories down from the top of the page today. Why? Because that's what we care about. Every business you look at with disgust, is driven by a market. That market, is your neighbors, your friends, your family, your co-workers - your society. No one sells chocolate donuts with ketchup filling because no one would buy it, no one wants it.

Our athletes are idols because we made them that way. Same result as yours, but I would direct your disgust toward those who demand that market. People who respond to this demand to make a living are doing exactly what we expect out of capitalism, exactly what the system predicts.