Silicon dioxide

Primarygun

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually all these compounds involve the noble gas atoms getting stuck in the cavities of the crystal structure of another element. Not sure but I think they call them inter-stitial compounds - such things are unstable thermally and I think the gas Aron is only known to participate in a few such compounds and nothing else. In that way xenon flourides are way more stable, but then xenon is a bigger atom with empty d-shells.

I think he meant that it's stable when mixed with other elements, stable like noble gases are; highly inert and non-reactive. Of course, usually when talking about stability it's the matter of the discussed element being radioactive or not.

if an element is not stable it means if will decay [through radiation]

and a stable atom will not decay.

a reactive element has a big reaction when mixed e.g. sodium, potassium

a non-reactive element will not react with other materials e.g. noble gases e.g. neon, xenon & krypton

yes, i dont think there are that many people who dont know the difference, i think even most of the 14 year old [lots of em round] know that, or at least, i think they would if they were in england and at school.

going back to the subject, there wasnt really one, but anyway:

about reducing a noble gas, is it possible, i know you cant have another electron in the outter shell, but could a new shell be added somehow?

it`s probably to do with the nuclear forces keeping the outermost electrons in check, you`ll probaly find that Radon will be cappable of even more compounds than Krypton is, and that Helium would be almost impossible to react with.

just an educated guess :)

Every single electron shell exists for every single atom out there. Even Helium has a 9s shell. However, those shells just aren't in use. An electron "shell" isn't a physical object. It's a mathematic probability that an electron with a certain level of energy will exist in that area. This is where you get into the quantum mechanics junk that can make grown men cry. All of the noble gasses can be reduced, it just takes a good deal of energy to do that. Helium is virtually inert since the amount of energy required to either add an electron, or remove an electron from it and place it into a bond is obscenely high.

Argon is only known to participate in inter-stitial compounds. It is not involving any chemical change but only a physical change as far as compound formation is concerned. Helium does not form anything. Xenon that way is very nice because of its stable flourides.