Lighter cars.

Thales

We drive around in vehicles in which we are usually the sole occupant. These cars are rediculously heavy when compared with our own weight. The accidents that occur on the road point out the obvious abundance of force involved in even moderate speed collisions.

With all the new materials technology coming out doesn't it make sense that someone seriously considers making lighter vehicles. A lighter vehicle would require less force to accelerate and be able to stop in much shorter distance making them safer. Seeing as it requires less force to accelerate the feasablity of an electric engine(which would also be considerably lighter) is increased. Along with severly reducing the total force involved in any accidents that occur. I could even imagine this material being almost rubbery in nature so absorbing the collision force and maybe even recoiling slightly could also reduce the impulse involved by lengthening the transition of momentum.

Of course convincing the car manufacturers of the world to support this idea is a huge practical hurdle but even designs that lead in this direction should at least be considered do you not think?

Comments/Suggestions/Criticisms welcome, as always.

I think a major factor going against your idea is the cost factor. Even if the materials needed are cheaper than the conventional metals used, the manufacturig process itself would need to change. This would not be financially viable in most if not all cases.

Another factor is marketability. It won't be very easy to convince people to buy this product. A large section of the automobile industry caters to family and commercial vehicle, and for them such vehicles won't make much sense. Even attacking the single passenger market would be rather difficult. Many people would feel a lot safer (I am talking about the mental attitude here) in a metallic shell rather than a flimsy rubbery one.

Lastly, I am not so convinced that a more flexible material would be safer in a collision situation. The force should be distributed over the body of the vehicle and not be transfered to the individual inside. Why would a material like the one mentioned, help in doing this ?

I'm not talking about an immediate global transition, just trying to change manufacturers minds about the general design of vehicles. These vehicles could carry more than one passenger and the overall appearance needn't be that different from the cars of today. The main premise is about reducing the forces involved. Heavy cars guzzle gas and are a danger to other drivers so why not promote a culture of lighter cars instead, reduce fuel consumption and save lives.

If you read my original post I point out that light cars could use less powerful engines to produce the exact same acceleration and speed while consuming less resources. They would also be able to stop in much shorter distances.

I designed an all permanent magnet motor a few years ago but haven't the cash to do anything with it but its so simple it won't be long before someone with the cash produces it or something similar. We won't need fuel any more. As for size I thought it would be best to make a one person car that joins to a secondry chassis with the extra room for passengers. Plastics have come a long way now and some exhibit properties like steel. The problem with recoiling panels is that allthough they absorb impact they then recoil with the energy of the impact so it actualy makes it worse. A plastic memory would be good as an after crash repair or make the shape only strong due to its shape so you could easily pop out the dents later. I don't see why air bags aren't used on the outside as well.

You can build lighter cars, but you have to remember, cars don't always run into one another. Cars run into trucks and buses (& vice versa), as well as utility poles and concrete walls. They are also subject to rolling over. They have to be strong enough to afford reasonable protection to their occupants in these situations.

do you mean smooth roads as in with no bumps? the answer to that would be because people cant be bothered to dig up and remove hills in the roads when they can just build over it.... pure lazyness.

things that must be taken into account here is the strength or the material and also the cost.... cars cost a lot, not many people want to pay more for a car which is lighter, as not many people want a lighter weight car.

Lighter vehicles are awesome. Yes, lighter = faster. My bike, a DRZ, accelerates to 60mph in around 4 seconds. It only weighs 270lbs, around 30 lbs more then myself. However, I am educated and quite expierianced in operation motorcycles.

And that is what is important, IMO, is knowing how to drive. Many people here in america are pure idiots when it comes to driving. Few people know how to recover from a slide, much less intentionally slide to avoid a collision.

While I agree we need to move our vehicles towards more efficient and cheaper production, we need to move our drivers into a more educated position behind the wheel (or bars in my case).

One way to do this would be to require ALL DRIVERS to aquire an SCCA license. This requires completing to racing schools. No, we don't need to race down the highway, but if people are more educated about how to handles their vehicles, you will see a sharp decline in motor vehicles accidents.

As is, it is entirely too easy to get a license.

__

Sorry, I know thats not what you are talking about, but it is quite related. As to lighter vehicles, I say make them out of cardboard and aluminum, so long as people know how to drive.