Printer NOT working! ~please help

Mr Rayon

My computer was recently infected by the virus, Security Tool 2011, a few days ago. Now the virus is gone (as far as I know at least) however I cannot use the printer for some reason. I think it has something to do with the virus. Anyway, how can I fix this problem and print? Whenever I try to print a message displays saying that a printer has not been installed. It then gives me an option of installing one however another message then pops up and says that the "printer spooler service is not running". What does this mean? How can I fix this problem? It is very annoying.

I also tried going to the site, http://www.technipages.com/fix-for-the-p… and following the instructions listed however it did not work.

When I got to step 2, I double-clicked the printer spooler service icon however the startup type was already in automatic. Also straight after I right clicked the printer spooler service icon and pressed 'start'. A message popped up saying:

"Could not start the Printer Spooler service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

I also tried going to Control Panel --> Printers and other Hardware --> Printers and Faxes

however there was nothing in there. Please somebody help me. What should I do?

If you have the original installation disc then I would uninstall the printer and then install it again.

The printer spooler is not working. Without it I cannot re-install the printer (just tried it). How can I fix it?

Edited by Voltman

By the looks of it, the virus removed or altered the file responsible for starting the spooler, as stated by "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." Not sure how you could reinstall this off my head, but I think searching on google will help you.

Have you tried using system restore to take you back to a time before trouble struck? I would save all I could of importance (docs, pictures etc.) first to a DVD disc. The last, but drastic, step is (if you have the facility) save what you can and then restore your computer back to factory settings. If you do that you will have to spend some hours on updates and reinstalling programs such as your antivirus.

Since writing the above

I have found this link which may help and which I would try first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757

Edited by TonyMcC

maybe unplug your printer cables from computer, start up your computer and remove printer driver software from the control panel of the computer, and restart again without printer for the computer to register some status, and shut down computer. Connect printer again and start up the computer. Some printers seems to be plug and play, but if driver is needed , you can go to the manufacturer's website to download for free.

To isolate if the problem is coming from printer hardware or computer software, you can try connect the printer to another computer, and see if it works there or same error.

What skyhook says makes good sense. You should do what you can to decide whether your computer system is at fault or your printer. If it is your printer do what you can to decide whether its due to software or hardware. If its the computer system give it a chance to correct itself. Having said all that it seems to be a known corruption of the computer's registry, especially if you have recently installed a Lexmark printer as mentioned in the link in my last post. Hope you are soon sorted.