even and odd numbers

woo. just had a look at the 2004 uni rankings for maths

timeonline puts nottingham at 5th and warwick at 10th

cant believe guardian has put nottingham trent infront of nottingham uni!!!!

it puts nottingham at 12th and warwick at 18th

Nottingham comes 80th in the world in general. dont know about maths.

Quite frankly, I find it hard to believe that Warwick would be ranked 18th for maths. Not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but it is one of the best universities in the country and is definately on a parr with Nottingham.

i cant believe that thas a theorem name. its just this

a less than b ' date=' and b less than a implies a=b. i have seen this before for like showing that a set A=B. but can't believe a trivial thing like this should have a name[/quote']

schroeder bernstein isn't trivial, and you need to state that by less than or equal you mean an injection from the smaller to the larger. if you think it is trivial then post a proof for infinite cardinals by all means (without using the axiom of choice

the same theorem using surjections is non-obvious and requires the axiom of choice.

the original question about size needs someone to ask them to be more specific since size is an ill defined term that people (ab)use to posit their theories on infinite sets.

Quite frankly, I find it hard to believe that Warwick would be ranked 18th for maths. Not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but it is one of the best universities in the country and is definately on a parr with Nottingham.

it would strongly depend on what they are rating it on. warwick is far superior to nottingham in its quality of research, and that isn't blowing your own trumpet in the slightest. teaching evaluations are slightly odd things.

Well, I'm at neither place, and I would put my current employers inbetween both in terms of quality of research. The quality of undergraduate 'ought' to be better at Warwick, though that doesn't mean any single person is better than any other single person irrespective of their flexibility, since Warwick now screens using STEP doesn't it? And Nottingham doesn't. Nottingham is still a good university.

I have a question, it`s rellated to the title, so I`ll post it in here.

what qualifies a number as being Odd or Even? does it have to be a whole number of can a decimal qualify?

for instance, is 2.4 odd or even? if it`s even as I suspect, because it ends in either 0,2,4,6 or 8.

what would 3.4 be?