Project on Peroxide Decomposition

TheEtherealChemist

Not one hundred percent sure this is in the right forum, as whilst this is a project and I am technically an amateur scientist, this is the Individual Investigation for 15% of my final Chemistry A-level grade.

I am doing a project on the rate of decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide, using different methods of measuring the rate and changing various aspects of the experiment such as temperature, ph and various concentrations.

The theory I am looking at including is:

-enzyme theory

-catalysis theory

-rate theory

does anyone have any advice of other aspects to look at, or particular methods related to this which could be useful? Any information on theoretical background to the reaction or any of the aspects noted above would also be greatly appreciated. I don't want definitive answers, and I am not going to plagiarise anyone's work. I'm just looking for some advice/guidance.

Thanks in advance,

SHA

Yes I was planning to use catalase - as a Biochemist I specifically chose this project for the enzyme content as I'm confident enough to be able to use enzyme theory in the project and there's quite a lot of potential for extension with enzyme inhibition.

Thanks for the heads-up about rate equations! I appreciate it.

Also found a nice PDF of an experiment done concerning catalase inhibition with hydroxyammonium chloride. The procedure is from 1935 and the techniques are ancient history but the science is still relevant.

Catalase Inhibitors

By the way, I'm a big fan of catalase. Any natural catalysts that operates at a rate that close to the diffusion limit is awesome in my book.

EDIT:My links appears to be broken, google catalase inhibitors and my link is the third hit.

Edited by mississippichem