Zinc chloride battery, what's it made of?

jsatan

I was just wondering what they are made of, I know the core is carbon and I think the black powder around the core is zinc chloride, is this right?

Also what is the outer casing made of, is it zinc?

It isnt magnetis and it looks like zinc rather than alu.

Thanks guy for the reply.

YT2095 I was doing what you said about making O" fast by adding that black stuff to the h2o2 (17.5%) yeah it bubbled and poped and warmed up but it didnt seem to give of that much o2 as when i put my blown out peace of wood next to it it re-lit but didnt burn much faster, was it because I didnt store enough then let it free?

lol.

I'm building up my knowledge of where to find elements, as I couldnt find a good supply of zinc off hand, but now I'm fine, :)

I was just wondering what they are made of' date=' I know the core is carbon and I think the black powder around the core is zinc chloride, is this right?

Also what is the outer casing made of, is it zinc?

It isnt magnetis and it looks like zinc rather than alu.[/quote']

Chemicals:

20% ammonium chloride solution

manganese dioxide (powder)

graphite powder

Could you get a load of these old bat's and soak them in a little water and then filter to give me some ammonium chloride?

Havent a clue what that would do but waste nto want not, lol.

Which is it that reacts with the h2o2?

Old batteries often contain an amino complexed zinc ion, it often oozes out as a dark fluid from them. Using too old a battery would introduce this into the rection too. But I think its Manganaese dioxide which is reacting over here - it is a dark solid.

• 4 weeks later...
wait, the manganese dioxide was oxidized by hydrogen peroxide to form permanganic acid???
it only acts as a catalyst, it plays no real part as a reactant, you`ll not get permanganic acid :)

you`ll get your original manganese dioxide, O2 gas and water.

sorry to dissapoint.

"Zinc will be all used up in sixty more years."

Lol, reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they watch the document about what world would be like without zinc. :) Not that using up natural resources is particularly funny, though. :/

actualy, this is going to seem REALLY SAD!

but I actualy strip the zinc and the carbon rods from all batteries that are dead, the sad part is that I actualy collect them and dedicate a day to stripping them down!

I really should get a life LOL :))

nah, I do the same, I keep any thing I can. throw away world is what this world is turning into.

With a little thinking anything can be made into something, as I've always said the problem is if someone has to do anything to get something them most people think that is too much to ask.

Too many people want everything for nothing.

YT dont blame you for saving them, will come in handy sometime, and if not whats it matter, you have fun, lol.