Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube and golden spiral?

THX-1138

Concerning a Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube, I'm wondering about the effect of the curve of the spiral vortex chamber on the device's performance.

Specifically, I'm wondering if there would be any particular effect if the curve were a golden spiral rather than just any old spiral.

I haven't found any references online, so I'm tossing it into this remarkable collection of creative minds to see if anyone has any thoughts.

What do you think?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Concerning a Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube, I'm wondering about the effect of the curve of the spiral vortex chamber on the device's performance.

Specifically, I'm wondering if there would be any particular effect if the curve were a golden spiral rather than just any old spiral.

There may be multiple ways of achieving a vortex.

Here are two images of a vortex generator with a different spiral chamber. The incoming ambient compressed air enters the outside diameter and passes through the 6 channels to the center and then away from generator towards the hot side in a vortex.

post-34311-0-22562800-1292214168_thumb.jpg post-34311-0-03725800-1292214187_thumb.jpg

See Vortex History for info.

Hope that helps some.

• 3 months later...

Hi just read your posts

There seems to be so many variables to these vortex tubes its difficult to know where to start. I made one with 1/2 inch tube and slits simular to tuzi and it did not work well, then I read that they need a lot of air flow. A lot of web videos show the exelair one which is half the size and has a very short hot tube. One thing I did notice from the videos they make a characteristic wizzing noise, a bit like those kids toys you blow into and a wheel rotated very fast.

I am now reading a paper by Chenming Gao of Eindoven Uni which measures all the bits and tries to relate figures to various theories.

He varies length of hot tube, number of nozzles, etc. I would like to do a study (without the math).

I would start with the original spiral there may be something special about it. By the way what makes a golden spiral ? This caught my eye no-one seems to have studies the generation chamber, cylindrical spiral etc. Are yes Chenming recommends a chamfer on the edge entering the hot tube.

Regards chaps

There may be multiple ways of achieving a vortex.

Here are two images of a vortex generator with a different spiral chamber. The incoming ambient compressed air enters the outside diameter and passes through the 6 channels to the center and then away from generator towards the hot side in a vortex.

post-34311-0-22562800-1292214168_thumb.jpg post-34311-0-03725800-1292214187_thumb.jpg

See Vortex History for info.

Hope that helps some.

• 3 months later...

hey we have sufficient data on vortex tube but can anyone HELP us to design a vortex tube........

we want total procedure of designing a vortex tube. its formule to calculate stresses etc.....

PLEASE HELP US OUT ANYONE

hey can u guide me HOW TO DESIGN OR WHT R DESIGN PARAMETERS FOR MAKING A VORTEX TUBE . . . . as we taken it as our project. please need ur help badly.

• 1 year later...

By the way what makes a golden spiral ? This caught my eye no-one seems to have studies the generation chamber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_spiral

The golden ratio seems sort of 'magical'; it shows up in natural processes all over the place. I just wondered if perhaps using it here would result in improved/optimum performance.