Physics class problem

Guest Boz_521

I'm suppose to indirectly measure the width of our school soccer field while being confined to the outer length, we're not allowed to be in or cross it, or on the other side of. In other words, all measuremeants must be taken from the 'near side'. I have to provide a method. The best idea i've heard thus far is to determine the length, then observe the angle of the diagnol, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

stand on the line. look across. put a ruler near ur eyes and then look at the far side line. then adjust your ruler so that it is looking at the far side line as well. get a angle measurer and calculate the angle it makes with ur body. then u have all the necessary measurements to calculate the width. i.e ur eye height and the angle

i am in boz's class. we could not see from one corner to the other due to a sort of elevation between the two points. however, we measured the angle made between a corner and the midfield line across the field and found that it was approximately 60 degrees. from the corner we stood at to the midfield line on our side, it was 60 meters. we then used trig to find our answer.

unfortunately, the result wasn't very accurate, to say the least, the percent difference was approximately 32.6, though we knew the exact length of the field. :confused: