Fuel cells and making hydrogen—a few questions.

palebluehuh

One of the reasons given for the impracticality of large-scale usage of fuel cells to power vehicles is that it takes more energy to crack the hydrogen from a water molecule than any energy gain from the usage of said hydrogen as a fuel. My questions are:

1. Is that true? All you have to do, I think, to seperate the hydrogen from water is run an electrical current through it. Then again, my knowledge of chemistry is shamefully inadequate. How do they seperate hydrogen from water, anyways?

2. Aren't there some chemical reactions that release hydrogen? I remember reading about simply mixing sulfuric acid with iron filings, and that releasing hydrogen (I think that was how they filled the gasbags of zeppelins). Is this method feasible on a large scale to provide hydrogen for fuel-cell powered vehicles?

3. Am I right in assuming that putting the hydrogen through nuclear fusion (I know, many years before it's practical) would reap far more energy than the actual process of seperating the hydrogen from water?

1. it`s true it does take energy to split the 2, but H is only the portable medium, when split using renewable sources Solar or wind, it`s just a way to contain this :)

2. there are indeed, a simple Jackson generator using an Alkaline and Alu metal will liberate lager quantities of H.

3. you`re partly correct, it`s an Isotope of Hydrogen, either Dueterium or tritium that`s used, but as of yet, it`s not a viable energy source (YET).

hope that helps a little? :)

if you run a current through water you will release hydrogen and oxgen which is also used as a rocket fuel in liquid form (not water) similar to liquid oxygen now if you mixed does gases together you would probably/absolutly get more of a kick then standard petrol or desiel but to produce enough for the car to run would require alot of energy

"it`s not a viable energy source (YET)."

You're right, but the Japanese are putting together a fusion reactor, I think. And when it comes to fusion bombs... whoopee. I've seen a video clip of a cannon launched atomic mortar that I think is about 18 000 kilotons. The Castle Bravo h-bomb had 20 MEGAtons. And the 18 000 kiloton bomb looks like it could wipe out a medium-sized town with ease. :(

Hello My name is Daniel. I found a very interesting book about running fuel cells on water. I plan to buy it soon. The book's name is "The Hydrogen Fracturing Process"by Stan Meyers. You can find the description of the book at http://www.nutech2000.com/category7_1.htm. There are allot of other books and videos on this site. Some of them are on Joe Cell,Orgone,Free energy and other things.