Element collecting

Gilded

• 2 months later...

I just got a sample of cesium today :eek:

I'm storing it away from oxygen, the halogens, sulfur, phosphorus and all that, but I’m still worried I might set the house on fire. It's a .5g sample stored under argon inside a glass file and then in a fire proof safe on its own. Should I have a fire extinguisher at the ready just in case?

Also, could such a small sample do much harm? Any of your thoughts would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Cesium is VERY reactive and will ignite (explode?) on contact with air and water. Whether your 0.5 gram sample may do harm depends on where it is stored. A spark from a cigarette can be harmless, but it can also initiate a fire, which destroys complete forests, so think twice about the place where you store your cesium.

If you store it in a thick-walled metal can with metal screw cap, in all wrappers you already have, then I would not worry about it. Even if it would explode, I would not expect it to rupture the metal container, because it is just 0.5 grams.

• 1 month later...

I have learned that electroplating is really more of an art than a science. First I started out with a copper rod. The rod was then completely plated with silver. I then covered 1/3 of one side with gold and then the tip of that was plated with nickel. The other side was plated with copper and then zinc on the tip. The visible copper isn't actually the base metal but another plate. Needless to say, quite a bit of time went into thinking through what order I was going to plate.

The gold complicated the whole thing because it can't really be polished due to it's softness. This means that both the gold and the nickel have to have a perfect plate or else the gold will rub off.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well i am a recent element collecter and i have extras and i am also missing some elements and i was wondering if anyone is interested in trades

what i need:

k

Ca

Rb

Sr

Cs

Ba

Hf

Os

Te

Po

B

Th

U

i have plenty of extras of most of the other elements (except the "rare earths")

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I just got a sample of cesium today :eek:

I'm storing it away from oxygen, the halogens, sulfur, phosphorus and all that, but I’m still worried I might set the house on fire. It's a .5g sample stored under argon inside a glass file and then in a fire proof safe on its own. Should I have a fire extinguisher at the ready just in case?

Also, could such a small sample do much harm? Any of your thoughts would be great.

FIREPROOF SAFES CONTAIN WATER!!!!! they use it in the insulation. NOT a good idea IMO! a plain steel safe would be a better option i think.

i cut one open a a while ago and the insulation is very moist. test the humidity inside one if you done belive me. a friend stored a gun in one fore a couple years and the humidity here in idaho is low so we usually dont have t worry too much about rust....well his gun was rusted very badly compared to the ones in his steel safe

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i have lots of iodine, sulfur, zinc, aluminum (acid etched showing crystal structure) a little bit of Be some Nb powder, about 20 grams of indium wire, Mo evaporation boats, 5x5"x.010 Mo sheet, Mo rod, Ti rod, tungsten rod, Ni electrolytic pieces, spool of .005" Tantalum wire, Ti sponge and crystals, bismuth, cadmium, some chromium, tin, a little diamond powder, lead, small amount of arsenic, antimony lots of SI, and a little cobalt.

so if you need any of these and have something to trade let me know

and tritium about 3 years old so has plenty of glow left.

[quote name='

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

i have lots of iodine' date=' sulfur, zinc, aluminum (acid etched showing crystal structure) a little bit of Be some Nb powder, about 20 grams of indium wire, Mo evaporation boats, 5x5"x.010 Mo sheet, Mo rod, Ti rod, tungsten rod, Ni electrolytic pieces, spool of .005" Tantalum wire, Ti sponge and crystals, bismuth, cadmium, some chromium, tin, a little diamond powder, lead, small amount of arsenic, antimony lots of SI, and a little cobalt.

so if you need any of these and have something to trade let me know

and tritium about 3 years old so has plenty of glow left.[/quote']

I don't have anything you need, but I do make some cool display boards. Would you be interested in trading? I have yet to acquire Be, Nb, In, Ti, Tu, Ta, Cr, Ar and Co.

I don't have anything you need, but I do make some cool display boards. Would you be interested in trading? I have yet to acquire Be, Nb, In, Ti, Tu, Ta, Cr, Ar and Co.

pm me your address and ill just send you a few samples you need, some were given to me so i guess to keep the karma flowing i should fay it forward

except what the hell is "Tu"?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We still get mercury thermometers here. Whenever someone wants mercury, they go ahead and buy a couple of thermometers.

Magnesium is extremely easy to get, we had lots in our school lab.

Where do you get Gallium and Indium ?

Does anyone have a pure sample of Arsenic ?

i have some arsenic to trade, also a little bit of gallium and indium i can part with

i would prefer trades

PM me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have real recently just become so interested in chemistry. i have been thinking about starting an element collection. i found this forum on the site today and was pretty excited. i don't have any yet to trade, but i would be so appreciative if any one had a little extras to donate. really appreciative! :) thanks

Welcome to a very addicting hobby! If I had some extras, I would be happy to donate to you, but the only "extras" I have are some gold and platinum, and you really can't call those elements "extra". :P

If you are looking for a place to purchase some samples, there are two that I used extensively in my collecting. One is unitednuclear.com, and the other is http://www.elementsales.com. The latter is run by a very good friend of mine who took our common hobby and turned it into a business. He offers VERY good quality samples and is also able to do custom samples if you need them. Some of the prices are somewhat high, but remember, he needs to make money to keep a business running, and the prices are fully worth it. Dave is a really great guy and knows his stuff quite well. His prices are much better than the prices offered by numerous other vendors out there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i have a well started element collection and the ownly problem is that all my elements are in individual ampuoles, and i need to know if bromine is safe enough to do that?

i would recomend buying it already ampuled instead of trying to do it yourself.

i got mine from theodore gray that runs the www.periodictable.com site it was $50 total and i am very happy with it, he is a great guy and was a pleasure working with him

his email is on his website somewhere

also the link in the post above mine is a great company but IMO their hazmat charges are pretty high, for example i bought some hazmat stuff from united nuclear and their fee is only $30 for up to 3 hazmat items, where as metallium charges $70 for alkali metals.

i got my sodium from a guy (pm if you want his email) , 500ml of nitric acid for $25 and lots of other fun chemicles that are hard to get and his shipping was only $15!!

Edited by rogerxd45