can you bring back to life someone

I suppose having sex is not what you meant with "giving life". The answer to your question, is strongly tied to what you define life and death to be. And that is actually not so trivial as it may sound for a layman. For example, if you define death as stopping of heart beat (in Germany that is called "clinical death"), then bringing people back to life (reanimation) is indeed a standard procedure in modern medicine with an in-principle high rate of success (in practice, this is high rate is reduced by (1) the need to start reanimation procedure soon after stopping of heartbeat and (2) the fact that by merely bringing the heart back "on-line" you haven't yet eliminated the reason that caused it stopping in the first place). If you define something like "true death" as the point where no medical treatment will bring people back to life, then the answer to your question is probably "no", by construction.

Abreu: what you are talking about in your 2nd post is roughly what I called "reanimation" above. You are definitely not limited to 5 minutes but can really restore people to their previous state (though for people whose heart stopped beating, this often isn't exactly the most healthy one, either).

EDIT: I looked up the term I was referring to as "reanimation". The correct English term seems to be "Cardiopulmonary resuscitation".

Edited by timo

It depends of our brain. If brain stops work we can't do anything, but if brain hasn't stoped work yet we can try to use an electric wave or something else.

The second opportunity is known as a clinical death.

EDIT: Sorry timo - I don't note your answer.

Edited by Lycaenid

ca you do it if a person is dead can you give life back can you give/create a new life?

Yes, but when we do it no longer counts. Before people were considered dead when their heart stopped, now we revive such people all the time but no longer consider them dead. As technology advances, we will be able to bring back those we now call dead, and we will change the definitions again.

what does the brain need to work?

The brain needs glucose and oxygen. Deprived of either it will die quickly. Other parts of the body such as muscles need only glucose, and can make lactic acid if they don't have enough oxygen -- for a while.

so of we could provide those things the person would come back? and if it worked would the person return to it previous self or come "damaged"

I would have to say no, once the brain is dead the person is gone, the brain does not come back to life. If you revived the person he would just be a body, no mind.

so of we could provide those things the person would come back? and if it worked would the person return to it previous self or come "damaged"

Perhaps, but it is not so easy. Take a brief glance at this, it's only a small part of what goes on in the living cell:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8048/pdf/8048bigpicture.pdf

If that process were to break down, just how easy do you think it would be to get it working again? And it will be more complicated than that if your proteins start degrading, then on top of getting the right concentrations of the chemicals in the picture, then you also have to replace the proteins and get them all in the right place, and do it fast enough that it all doesn't break again while you're doing so.

O.0 didnt understand a thing but it seems quite hard to make it work again especially if when you die the cell "breaks" the chain gets broken a question that always had people thinking but someday we will be able to do it i hope not tough :(

• 2 weeks later...

Naturally and normally speaking a person cannot be brought back to life once brain activity has stopped for a substantial amount of time (about 10 minutes) but there have been several documented cases of people being in this state for much longer and still coming back without any problems. Those are the few and far between bizarre cases though!

"what does the brain need to work? "

It needs to be a brain.

Unfortunately, as soon as it is deprived of oxygen and nutrients the cells start to die off and the connections between them fail.

Since being a brain requires these cells to be present and properly connected you can't bring the brain back to life.

• 2 weeks later...

ca you do it if a person is dead can you give life back can you give/create a new life?

From a completely materialist standpoint, you can do it, but we really don't have the technology to do such a thing, because it requires re-arranging all the atoms and molecules to where they were at a point of life, restoring all the lost enzymes and other chemicals that may have been lost to their specific locations, restarting the heart, restarting the brain to analyze things as well as restoring it's damaged tissues and the tissues of other organs, and then on top of that restarting the process of the cell cycle which includes the body auto-analyzing RNA and duplicating DNA and then auto-using the DNA to synthesize proteins and other chemicals.

It's just too complex right now. The only other way would be cloning.

Edited by steevey

Cloning wouldn't revive someone in any way. Cloning will just make someone with the same DNA, it wouldn't give the clone the same ideas, experiences, etc. that the person had at death. Pretty much it would just be making an identical twin of someone

Cloning wouldn't revive someone in any way. Cloning will just make someone with the same DNA, it wouldn't give the clone the same ideas, experiences, etc. that the person had at death. Pretty much it would just be making an identical twin of someone

Spiritually though, the person would still be living on which is how some people thought it was possible to live forever, which is why I made the point earlier to say "completely materialistic" for the other process.

Spiritually though, the person would still be living on which is how some people thought it was possible to live forever, which is why I made the point earlier to say "completely materialistic" for the other process.

Can you please expand on what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that a 'spirit' would move from the dead body to the new body?

Can you please expand on what you mean by this? Are you suggesting that a 'spirit' would move from the dead body to the new body?

No, I'm just suggesting that to the rest if the world, if you cloned someone and no one else knew about, it would be as if that person would be living on forever. And if some people did know about it, it still might be considered living to them, since it may not be the same exact person but it's still all the same DNA. The same DNA and body would still be in functioning form.

Edited by steevey

No, I'm just suggesting that to the rest if the world, if you cloned someone and no one else knew about, it would be as if that person would be living on forever. And if some people did know about it, it still might be considered living to them, since it may not be the same exact person but it's still all the same DNA. The same DNA and body would still be in functioning form.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that a cloned person would pass for the original to the rest of the world. I don't think that is correct. If you know identical twins you would not confuse one for the other once a conversation began, or even by observing their actions. And if they were twins who did not grow up together they would be even more dissimilar. And of course unless you cloned at birth the clone wouldn't even be the same age.