• US military on purpose
    • US military by mistake
    • US civilians/amateurs
    • Other military
    • Other amateurs
    • Terrorists
    • Little green men

News and video of mysterious missile launch off California coast

Well, here's a one-of-a-kind news item (let's hope).

Any real news from the military is missing from this situation. Someone (ATCs, NORAD, etc) must know where the launch came from, how fast it was going, and where the missile came down ... they're just not saying right now. They're obvious not concerned that it's some sort of threat, so I'm leaning toward it being a US military mistake. Oops!! From it's trajectory, they can estimate its minimum weight and size.

Isn't it the same phenomenon as in the first post here

Perspective and Contrails

Why wouldn't both be military missiles which are kept quiet?

I've seen thousands of contrails at sunset (I live in a densely populated part of the world - lots of planes here), but I have never seen one that was much wider towards the horizon. Not like that anyway.

Two groups of people for any mysterious event: those who imagine all sorts of plots, and those who fear the strange and dismiss it as common stuff.

I wouldn't know of any reason for someone to launch a missile randomly, or by error. I can suppose, however, that a plane doesn't

from near an ocean's level starting point -- as the news video shows it moving.

I can suppose, however, that a plane doesn't

from near an ocean's level starting point -- as the news video shows it moving.

by that logic, ships coming over the horizon rise up out of the water after having been submerged before and ships going away from you convieniently spring a leak when the get to the horizon.

its a matter of realising that the earth is far from flat.

How easily we are duped into an irrational mind set because of nothing more than guess work. Who ever brought this out should have their A-- kicked. I've watched many missile firings, beginning in 1960 'til 1995. This was not a missile! Next it will be the "little green men" all over again!!

How easily we are duped into an irrational mind set because of nothing more than guess work. Who ever brought this out should have their A-- kicked. I've watched many missile firings, beginning in 1960 'til 1995. This was not a missile! Next it will be the "little green men" all over again!!

I'll have you know we are not little or green and we know who you are..... :ph34r:

Otherwise known as "the horizon?" :)

by that logic, ships coming over the horizon rise up out of the water after having been submerged before and ships going away from you convieniently spring a leak when the get to the horizon.

its a matter of realising that the earth is far from flat.

It had seemed as if there's ocean behind it, but perhaps not. Difficult to tell. But if the object's really that far, the size is even larger than perceived in the video.

Plus, why aren't such trails a more common event -- on the horizon of lands as well? Instead, everyone's response is as if they're seeing it the first time ever.

How easily we are duped into an irrational mind set because of nothing more than guess work. Who ever brought this out should have their A-- kicked. I've watched many missile firings, beginning in 1960 'til 1995.

Why? It's a deputy Secretary of Defense who claimed it's a "big" missile. Should be his fault. ;)

And what if a real missile had been launched, such as the Delta II rocket nearby to it about four days earlier? Should it have gone unreported if no one knew who had launched it?

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.