Drivers License Before Your 15

random!@#%

My son was wondering if there was any way around the rule that you have to be 15 for at least a drivers permit. I thought I would post it on here to see if I got any answers better than mine ( It was no.)

Move to The Great State of South Carolina, I think it's still 14 there :unsure:

Random, I doubt there is a way around it.

Moontanman, 14???? What's the road toll there? We find that fully 1/3 of road deaths are in the 17-25 age group, adding 14 yo pubescents that can barely see over the dashboard to the mix makes me shudder. How bizarre that in America you can have a 14 yo hurtling down the highway in 2 tons of metal at 60 mph, but you keep him away from dangerous stuff like tobacco until he's 18. (Alcohol is 21, isn't it?)

Random, I doubt there is a way around it.

Moontanman, 14???? What's the road toll there? We find that fully 1/3 of road deaths are in the 17-25 age group, adding 14 yo pubescents that can barely see over the dashboard to the mix makes me shudder. How bizarre that in America you can have a 14 yo hurtling down the highway in 2 tons of metal at 60 mph, but you keep him away from dangerous stuff like tobacco until he's 18. (Alcohol is 21, isn't it?)

I'm not sure if the driving age is still 14 but at one time (I live near the state line) it's wasn't unusual to see a car loads of teenies driving around the the beach towns. South Carolina used to be a wide open place, sex at 10 or 11, drive at 14, buy a judge seat, no law experience necessary, or for sheriff as well. The last couple of decades they've cleaned it up a little bit, I think a judgeship is still pretty expensive but age of consent is higher, 12 or so :doh: No, really i think they are in line with the rest of the nation now.

Depends on the state. Some allow for hardship permits if you can demonstrate extenuating circumstances, but I don't know what the criteria are.

Can one get emancipated below the age of 16? That might count as 'extenuating circumstances.'