Do you identify more with "liberals" or "conservatives"?

Pangloss

Do you identify more with "liberals" or "conservatives"?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which category most accurately describes your political views?

• Strongly Liberal
    • Moderately Liberal
    • Independent
    • Moderately Conservative
    • Strongly Conservative

The poll question is intended to get a broad view of "lean", so please pick a category closest to your view, even if it is not entirely accurate.

Note: This thread is about US politics. Sorry for not saying that up front (thanks John Cuthber).

How can we deal with the difference between countries?

"Moderately conservative" here in the UK is probably just about communist in the US.

It speaks volumes about modern politics that my country is currently governed by a coalition of the Liberal and Conservative parties.

Edited by John Cuthber

I don't think the US even has a major liberal party. We have a conservative party and an ultraconservative party.

There are liberals in the Democratic party, but the Democratic party is a hodge podge of liberals, moderates, and conservatives, which is part of what makes them ineffective at getting things done. There are simply too many different viewpoints.

I used to say the Republicans were relatively homogenous but now it's clear there exists a split between superconservative Republicans and ultraconservative Republicans.

Even more than the difference between nations, I think for many it comes down to "What topic?".

Many people would classify as conservative on some topics and liberal on others. I'm generally right leaning conservative, but I've argued as strongly as I can for Universal Health Care in the US, which is pretty much a liberal thing there.

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. The Democrats usually beat the Republicans in both of those (as far as I can tell), but neither of them really match my views very well. But because of our voting system I have to vote for one of them if I want my vote to count for anything. This really pisses me off because it is not a necessary failure of voting, just of the voting system we happen to have, and I and many others are stuck with candidates we don't like but vote for anyways.

I think including a "moderate" option in this poll is a bit disingenuous. In my experience people who self-identify as "moderates" in the US are generally conservatives who would rather not self-identify as conservatives.

I agree with this...I am steadfastly against corporatism overtaking the government. :D :D :D

I think including a "moderate" option in this poll is a bit disingenuous. In my experience people who self-identify as "moderates" in the US are generally conservatives who would rather not self-identify as conservatives.

You mean "independent"?

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal. The Democrats usually beat the Republicans in both of those (as far as I can tell), but neither of them really match my views very well. But because of our voting system I have to vote for one of them if I want my vote to count for anything. This really pisses me off because it is not a necessary failure of voting, just of the voting system we happen to have, and I and many others are stuck with candidates we don't like but vote for anyways.

I'm about where you are Mr. Skeptic. I've voted for the lesser of two evils way too many times. Hopefully one day I'll actually be able to confidently stand behind a candidate without announcing a disclaimer about how I think he sucks but not as bad as the other guy. I think in the near future we will see the rise of more "green-like" and more "libertarian-like" politics. My generation (I'm 22 years old) is disillusioned with the false dichotomy of republicans vs. democrats. It may seem like there is a huge difference between the two in these polarizing times, but is there really? Though I often disagree with Bascule, he commented in another thread about republicans being big spenders as well and really offering no fiscally conservative alternatives; you're right Bascule, good call! George Washington warned us against developing a party system. We should've listened.

Edited by mississippichem