cesium

r1dermon

i want to know how to safely extract cesium from cesium chloride. first of all, i need to know just how dangerous chlorine gas is...second of all, i know that sodium melts at 801C, what temp does cesium take? third of all, for electrolysis i will be using a 12V car battery and two steel prongs. i need to know, what type of container is used to conduct this experiment in? also, i know that cesium reacts with air, and burns, so i am hesitant to use deisel fuel, are there any other solutions that cesium will not react with? i've heard vinegar works, not sure though. also, people have told me that the cesium just pops out, like little silver fireworks, is this true? i've read in books that the cesium goes toward one of the prongs and the same with the chlorine. if this is true, then it wouldn't be difficult to get the cesium into a stable environment, but if its false, basically i just have to hope that molten cesium doesnt contact my skin, and that the molten cesium can land in the stable solution...lol, all input is appreciated

chlorine gas wont be your problem; the smell becomes unbearable before you are exposed to dangerous doses. you will cough and feel it in your lungs.

if you want to get cesium from cesium chloride, take a blowtorch to it, melt it and put a car battery to it. you will get molten cesium metal balls flying out of it, which you will have to catch and throw into a beaker of motor oil. it's kinda dangerous; i know somebody from another forum who does electrolysis often but recently got a molten sodium ball up his nose. another way of extracting the cesium is adding lithium (from lithium batteries). your problem is that you will have to heat it a bit and it's very exothermic (being a thermite reaction).

Ahh cesium, the king of elements. Well, maybe not the king but it's cool anyway. A) It's the closest thing you get to liquid gold (except for actual liquid gold) B) It goes KABOOM nicely C) You can melt it with your body temperature! However, holding cesium with bare hands is not recommended, since it burns through your skin, your flesh, and your bone, if it doesn't explode, that is. If you require a liquid metal to play around with, choose gallium. It's NEARLY non-toxic (I think you could eat a bit without experiencing any harm), though it leaves nasty stains. :/ The best way to store cesium is in a noble gas atmosphere (usually in glass ampule, in an argon atmosphere). Mineral oil is also good, but you won't get as good liquid-gold-effect as you do in an ampule (though the mineral oil/motor oil method is waaay easier). It's a nice element indeed, and if anyone gets it isolated and especially if someone is going to throw some in a bucket of water, please tell me. :)

PS. That molten-Na-ball-up-nose-thing sounds sort of painful. As bud said, be careful with this sort of things.

"Ahh cesium, the king of elements" actually francium is the "king" of elements :D and has anybody seen brainiac 2 on sky one thursdays 8.00pm they set of about 2-5g of rubidium and caesium in a bath rubidium blew the bath apart and ceasium completly distroyed it full size baths as well not water baths baths which humans go in. they are elements you really should not mess with

Gallium as a liquid metal? do you mean at room temp like Mercury, or just molten (like any other metal with enough heat)?

I`ve only ever seen it in High Temp thermometers, and it`s quite solid at room temp?

edit: about 30c or something like that.

Hmmph. If francium is the king of elements, "long live the king" doesn't really matter since its most stable isotope (Fr-223, beta- & alpha decay) has a half-life of 21 minutes or something. :) So, if you had a visible amount of francium, you wouldn't get to tell anyone about it since you would die of radiation poisoning rather quickly. :/ Same goes with astatine and radon. Although, a quite large amount of radon has been isolated (1g or something?), it's not actually visible since it's a colorless gas. :)

Hmmph. If francium is the king of elements, "long live the king" doesn't really matter since its most stable isotope (Fr-223, beta- & alpha decay) has a half-life of 21 minutes or something. :) So, if you had a visible amount of francium, you wouldn't get to tell anyone about it since you would die of radiation poisoning rather quickly. :/ Same goes with astatine and radon. Although, a quite large amount of radon has been isolated (1g or something?), it's not actually visible since it's a colorless gas. :)

Depends on what you mean by "visible." A group at Stony Brook trapped 210Fr and took pictures of the fluorescence.

thats ok...i dont think i'll be wanting to "catch" molten balls of cesium in my hand and quickly transfer them to a stable atmosphere. i want cesium so that i can mess around with it, check out some of its reactions with different elements. not to melt it in my hand... i've read that electric prongs used in electrolysis(usually carbon) attract the elements in the crystal, or molten lava. lol. i definately dont want to chance catching a ball of cesium at well over 800C coming for my nostral. lol.

Gallium as a liquid metal? do you mean at room temp like Mercury' date=' or just molten (like any other metal with enough heat)?

I`ve only ever seen it in High Temp thermometers, and it`s quite solid at room temp?

edit: about 30c or something like that.[/quote']

In some periodic tables, they have THREE liquid elements, bromine, mercury and GALLIUM. Some only have two. It is low melting point, so, on hot days, it can be liquid!

I am not sure, but, I think caesium and below it (alkali matals) react so badly with air, that they are molten since the time they are exposed to it. Is it true?

Cs melting point is about 28.5 C, so it's close to melting at room temp. IIRC Rb is about 37 C. I think it's lower as you move down the list of alkalis, and they become more reactive as well. (Only Fr is below Cs, and as has been noted, there are no stable Fr isotopes)

The problem with an alkali melting is that it will then flow, and expose more surface to the air, which can then react.

By the way, for those who don't know, cesium is a really important element because of it's use in atomic clocks (1 second = exactly 9,192,631,770 complete oscillations of a cesium-133 atom). :)

Of the ground state hyperfine levels, with no perturbations (i.e. no E or B field)