making nitric acid

boris_73

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

twice should be perfectly fine, once without the H2SO4 and once with it. then it`s entirely down to you how much de-ionised water you add to get the correct percent conc you want :)

but again, I can`t vouch for the impurities present in the product, and so you`ll have go with this educated guess :)

i have to add the H2SO4 i thought i could just distill it with out H2SO4 because i thought it forms a azeotrope with water at 70% which is the conc i want and adding H2SO4 dehydrates it and is able to get the concentration around 98% and also if i order 2 bottles i reckon it will tell me the ingridents. it should do should'nt it if not how could i tell if it does have impurities

yes but i want about 1ltr of the nitric acid and considering about 62% of its water possibly something else it only leaves me with 380ml which is enough but not enough for different experiments. so should i add the sulphuric acid or would distilling it without the sulphuric acid give me my 70% conc acid

if the bottle is 1 litre and it`s 38% nitric' date=' how many bottles are needed to make 1 litre of 70% nitric?

c`mon dude, use your head! you`ll be asking me to make it for you next! :([/quote']

i dont want 1ltr exactly i should have said but i would rather have more then less. 2 bottles would be suffice all though at a £5 delivery charge i might just buy 5 bottles that way i wont have to keep paying £5 if i want some nitric acid i'll have enough to last me a long time

i DID actualy answer that, but you went off on a tangent about impurities etc...

I said: "twice should be perfectly fine, once without the H2SO4 and once with it. then it`s entirely down to you how much de-ionised water you add to get the correct percent conc you want :)

but again, I can`t vouch for the impurities present in the product, and so you`ll have go with this educated guess :) "

and so, if you do it that way you`ll not go wrong, and you`ll get a good clean product, BUT I don`t know what the impurities are, if they have a lower BP (also prior mentioned!) they may pass on also.

I don`t know what else to tell you here, it`s all there for the reading! :)

there are three more things how much sulphuric acid should i add to the nitric acid and where did you get your glass rods from and what temperature should i heat the homemade nitric acid using potassium nitrate and sulphuric acid these are the last thing's i am going to ask and thank you for helping me

simple, goto Argos and buy their Chem set for kids, it contains all you`re likely to need of Meth Orange and 1 or 2 other goodies :)

sounds lame at face value I know, but I`ve bought 1 or 2 in the past, exactly for that purpose, it was alot cheaper than Sci-Chem :)