making nitric acid

boris_73

david hahn made a solution of conc nitric and sulfuric acids, added pitchblende and could not dissolve any urananite ore. in the end, nucleosynthesized uranium 233 from thorium 232, which he thermited from the dioxide. i never understood why he did a thermite; he had to go through the trouble of shoplifting and breaking open hundreds of lithium batteries to get enough lithium to reduce the thorium dioxide. if i were him i would just use electrolysis. so much easier/cheaper that way.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No we're not, we're encouraging people not to try isolate uranium from pitchblende THROUGH the use of nitric acid. :) Though bud just explained an alternate way of creating fissionable material, so guess we're a little bit off topic. :D

Offtopic PS. :D bud did you mean electrolysis of thorium dioxide all by itself with nothing else added? Does that even work :|

it doesn`t work! you`de need the molten salt.

btw, this as off topic as it gets, if you need a source of Barium or Thorium (and other goodies) the old Vacuum tubes contain MANY of these! sometimes in pure form :)

could you use a ptfe tube instead of a glass tube for condensing nitic acid because i some how managed to break my glass tubes when bending them :rolleyes: and i read that ptfe tubing is resistant to most/nearly all acids and solvents if so this would be so much more easyer and better to use as a condenser as well as putting the boiling flask in an ice bath i could also coil the tube and put that in an ice bath as well for extra cooling which would condense the fumes better

• 2 weeks later...

an order containing potassium nitrate and other compounds came in a week ago. of course, i want to make a little nitric just for experience. does anybody have suggestions for materials to use for collecting the gas? i understand the process of tubes leading from one beaker to another but im not so sure as to how i could do this easily without destroying the tubing

PTFE tubing is fine against most acids use 1* 500ml flat base boiling flask to put KNO3 and sulphuric acid in, the rubber corks are going to be coverd in teflon tubing and the reciver is going to be a 500ml conical flask, hopefull the tubing can be coilled and put it in a ice bath, the conical flask is also going to be put in an ice bath to collect the gasses put a few ml of water in the conical flask and heat the boiling flask to about 80c-90c then the fumes should condense through the tube and fall in to the conical flask any gasses that have not turned into a liquid will do so when they touch the water

• 1 year later...

a 1:1 will leave 1 part HNO3 and 1 part KHSO4.

KHSO4 is still usable again (but it`s then operating as something akin to a mono basic acid) so 1 Mol sulphuric to 2 mols KNO3 is perfect.

2KNO3 + 1H2SO4 --> 2HNO3 + 1K2SO4

Edit: (added just for the fun of it) you could get even more "Bang for you buck" using a tribasic acid like Phosphoric acid instead H3PO4, then you can use 3 parts KNO3 to 1 part Phosphoric!

and if you`re REALLY clever, use ammonium nitrate instead in the correct ratio and you`ll get HNO3 and monoammonium phosphate, heat the the MAP again, the ammonia is driven off and your left with your original phosphoric acid again to re-use :))

Double EDIT:

I rem this Quote (and typing it):

sound like you had a cool dad!

I know that if ever we`re blessed with having kids' date=' they`ll have the Chemistry Set from HELL! :)))

Muhahahahahahaaa :)[/quote']

well I have a 14 month old daughter now, and she can join me in saying the first 12 elements (in order) and will often chunter away to herself the same :)

and yes, she has all the chems she`ll ever possibly want AND books, I`ve been stocking up on each :))