making nitric acid

boris_73

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, my dad's a psychiatrist and usually is somewhere all the time in conferences or the like (it's starting to get hard to name a country he hasn't been to).

And if you're anxious to have kids, you can adopt me if you'd like to. Lol :D

yt if you are still here what temperature should i heat the solution somebody else said 150c which seems way to much to me and i have read some where else which gave a very short discription that you should heat it about 80-90c which one is it or is it non of the above and another temperature

no im talking about the potassium nitrate/sulphuric acid solution to make nitric acid what temperature should that be heated with the sulphuric acid about 98% concentrated is it 150c 80-90c or another temperature, im not going to concentrate the 38% nitric acid from http://www.growell.co.uk because it might have impurites and to get rid of the impurites as well as concentrating it you will need sulphuric acid and to distill it it works out cheaper just to make your own from potassium nitrate and sulphuric acid

• 2 weeks later...

there is no minimum. the displacement ions if present, will do the exchange regardless, it just means you`ll get less :)

it works Ion for Ion, so even if you only had ONE ion, it would work, but don`t expect to get a strong Nitric acid, there`s no such thing as something for nothing or a "Free Lunch" :)

I think David Hahn made his own HNO3 the same way you're trying to make it. He used it to isolate uranium from pitchblende, though not too successfully.

not surprising really though, when you consider there`s so many compounds in pitch blende that will displace uranium, his best bet would have been to make "mud/sludge" with it in plain water and centrifuge it 1`st, the lowest layer being the heaviest elements/compounds, then isolate them and treat accordingly, the Nitric stage is one of the very last stages :)

well i have put an order through for my glassware and ill use 70-80% conc that should be enough and i know 1 mole of 70% sulphuric acid weighs 83g so ill use 202g of KNO3 plus 83g of HNO3 and heat about 80-90c great