making nitric acid

boris_73

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if done to 100% completion and there was no water of crystalisation left in the potassium sulphate.

if memory serves, 101g of KNO3 is one mole, and 98g is one mole of your H2SO4 (you`ll need to factor in your concentartion of acid to get your required amount).

so 202g of KNO3 and 98g of 100% oure H2SO4 will be a ballanced reaction.

hope that helps a little? :)

you are correct about the molarity but what i am stuck at is the molarity of 70% concentrated because you now have the addition of water as well as your other compounds so how would you work it out, you have H2SO4 and H2O, h*4, o*5 s*1 then add them together which is 117 so thats one mole of sulphuric acid and one mole of water this is what i reckon then you have to figure out the additon of the 30% water in the sulphuric acid thats what i can not figure out

if you boil your acid to 98% (you`ll never get 100% without SO3 addition) then just work from there :)

it`s all just ratios and percentages after that, you KNOW you have 98% pure, and you know that 100% pure weighs 98g per mole, how many grams of 98% H2SO4 will give you 1 mole?

that kind of thing :)

if you get 102 grams of 98% pure H2SO4 that`ll be roughly a mole.

then all you do is add it 7 parts to 3 parts Water (very slowly as it will boil!, never add water to acid!, always acid to water!)

that will give you as near as dammit your 70% conc, it`s always best to add an excess of KNO3 anyway, as the other way around and your acid will decompose :(

edit: these are Approximate values only!

yt do you live in england if so where did you get your sulphuric acid from because car batterys seem's to be an expensive idea i can only find new ones not used ones and what type of condensor should i use to make nitric acid and where could i buy cheap glassware i have beakers, filtering flasks, and a few chemicals but i now want to buy distilling equipment to make the nitric acid

Well YT's profile says "Good Ol' England" so I have doubts of him being an American. :) However, I would also be interested in just about every kind of cheap chemistry related stuff in the EU area, since these days it's almost an impossibility to get any nice stuff like aluminum powder or such from USA etc. because all the goddamn pyrotechnics companies are American. :/

my condensor is home made, I bought a pack of 50 half metre by 5mm borsilicate glass tubes and made my own :)

I spell color that way because I was brought up in Canada and was educated there for most of my childhood.

as for ALU powder, germany do the dark flake pyro grade, and you can still use and buy paint grade alu powder in the UK too :)

I`m not Canadian either, I`m an English man, and proud of it! :)

with a simple blow torch and a little skill from practice you can bend the glass tubes to make almost any shape you like, and even attatch them together to make longer peices.

basicly I have a large boiling test tube sunk into a block of ice in a container as my receiver, and the 250 conical as the distilation vessel, and a half meter length of tube from that into the receiver, I use a cork bung that`s been coated with teflon tape.

it works quite well :)

I`m not Canadian either' date=' I`m an English man, and proud of it! :)

with a simple blow torch and a little skill from practice you can bend the glass tubes to make almost any shape you like, and even attatch them together to make longer peices.

basicly I have a large boiling test tube sunk into a block of ice in a container as my receiver, and the 250 conical as the distilation vessel, and a half meter length of tube from that into the receiver, I use a cork bung that`s been coated with teflon tape.

it works quite well :)[/quote']

im glad your are proud of being english :) and thank you that should help a lot your condenser is it a long tube with a bend in the end or does it have tubes coming off so you can run water through

a long tube with a bend in it, the end stays under the acid in the tube held in ice, that way I don`t lose much at all, and avoid gassing myself and getting my lungs scared to hell and back.

I always add a tiny drop of water into the receiver vessel before I start also, I`m not really all that bothered about the conc of my nitric as it`s not used for explosives or the like, whereby it`s critical to get it correct. I`m just happy with a good strong acid that does the job it`s intended for :)

mostly work for metal salts.