Christmas

mulreay

to restate in a way that does not bring up the christian/pagan Christmas thing again

should atheists retain religious holidays/festivals just because they like them/want to and can they do so without compromising their beliefs

should christians retain religious holidays/festivals just because they like them/want to and can they do so without compromising their beliefs

should christians retain religious holidays/festivals just because they like them/want to and can they do so without compromising their beliefs

well Christmas (according to Christan beliefs) was the day that Jesus was born.

so I don't see where the celebration of Christmas compromises Christan beliefs.

Perhaps the commercial version instead.

yeah that one

Where exactly does the tree come from? It's no more a Christian holiday than a secular one.

yeah that one

Because most of the traditions of Christmas don't originate with Christianity. It's a mixture of all sorts of different religions and traditions, ancient and modern. But no, of course that doesn't compromise Christian beliefs, which I'm assuming is the point ydoaps was making. The atheist who celebrates Christmas is celebrating traditions that originally come from religions he doesn't believe in, and so is the Christian. And it doesn't matter. Why would it?