most pointless computer software

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

viruses are pointless, as they dont get anyone anywhere.

there not pointless to all people if your a hacker then you would think they were pointless there point is to muck up computers

by pointless i meant not point at all so viruses don't fall in that catagory

viruses purpose is to cause havoc, that is pointless...

you seem to be a bit behind atm, hackers use trojans and backdoors, not viruses, viruses corrupt a system by overriding software and coding in programs,

hacker's use trojans which just open back doors in your computer.

viruses have a purpose [to annoy you and ruin your system] which i would classify as pointless, trojans have a purpose [to help a hacker] and spyware has a purpose [to spy on you and gather info, normally to hack or send you appropriate adverts]

hackers dont use viruses, hackers use tojans.

a virus has a purpose, to reak havoc and piss people off, that is not a purpose such as a game [entertainment] and a trojan [to allow for hacking]

it is a pointless purpose, although there is a purpose there if you chose to see it that way :D

yes that's obviously what im saying, as ive said it several times.... im saying that that purpose, as above mentioned is a pointless purpose, it has not useful purpose and no good or meaningfull purpose.

althought it does have a purpose, as does everything, its just some things purpose it stupid, viruses are an example of this.

fine then:

a virus has a point: to disrupt computing and cause havoc

this point is a pointless point as, although there is a point in the program, it is nothing useful or creative or good, therefore although there is a point to viruses, viruses are on the whole pointless :D

I have a programme that NTL broadband gave me. It's a diagnostic tool that works out why you can't connect to the internet. That would be fine, but it needs to connect to the internet to download webpages that tell you why you can't connect, which it can't do because there is no connection. I contacted NTL and they admitted it was a 'beta' release. It's just the most brilliantly ill-conceived software ever made.

In general, viruses are neither pointless nor uncreative, some viruses are indeed true master pieces, others are usualy test/failed projects or remakes. Computer viruses, just like their biological counterparts simply want to multiply and the results of such actions are merely unavoidable side effects. What makes a virus a master piece then? It's simply the method by which it fulfills its purpose. I personaly admire polymorphic viruses and their creators (NOTE: In no way do I incline that they do nothing wrong. Indeed they are fully responsible for any damage their creation causes, and should these actions be against their societies established rules then they should be punished accordingly), since those are among the most difficult to stop. Simply because it's so hard to create a usefull signature of one. Even a heuristic scan has trouble detecting it.

What you described as a virus, 5614, is by my definition a malware. :)

If someone has the brains to write a "masterpiece" of a virus, then that person shouldn't be writing viruses. By bugging and annoying other people there is not much that one achieves. The same intellect could've been used for something worthwhile. Its not a game, you are causing people financial loss.

I would also add, that making an OS that has as many loopholes ready to be exploited as windows has, and then marketing it as windows has been marketed is no less a crime.

by odburo definition.... bin laden and 9/11 was amazing.... the fact is that, whilsts it may be good planing or programing and it might be well made and good at what its meant to do... that doesnt mean they are useful and whilsts they have a purpose they are unneeded and unwanted in society and life

i agree with pulkit

what is the most pointless computer software every made just curious / and the most advanced software if known

int main() { return 0; }

A candidate for the most annoying:

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
   while (true)
       printf("I'm both annoying _and_ useless!\n");

return 0;
}