PV panel questions

ponderer

I don't know much about PV panels, but it seemed to me that some at least are translucent.

For translucent panels. could their efficiency be improved by putting mirrors behind the panels to reflect back to the panels, light that has already passed through?

I suspect it depends on why the panels are translucent. A mirror coating might help, though it might not be cost-effective. If the photons that pass through do so because they cannot be utilized, then reflecting them won't improve things. If efficiency depends on temperature, you might make things worse. Also, if the panels can be saturated, it might do you no good to send more light into them.

I suspect it depends on why the panels are translucent. A mirror coating might help, though it might not be cost-effective. If the photons that pass through do so because they cannot be utilized, then reflecting them won't improve things. If efficiency depends on temperature, you might make things worse. Also, if the panels can be saturated, it might do you no good to send more light into them.

I doubt saturation is a problem. Parabolic mirrors are already used on the front side in concentrator arrays.

PV panels normally have back contacts of metal - just a regular sheet of metal, which will have the same effect as a mirror.

If those back contacts deliberately were left out (I think that complicates the production, and increases the price), then the goal of the panel may be to actually let some light through... for architectural reasons, it can be interesting to have glass that partially blocks the sunlight, but lets some through.

• 2 weeks later...