"universe is, at heart, describable by information, and is therefore computable"

needimprovement

quote from the Wikipedia article on "digital physics":

(the) universe is, at heart, describable by information, and is therefore computable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_physics

I haven't read the article in detail, although as I understand it, one version (not the original) was given by the great American physicist John Wheeler. Looking at the summary of the article I also see that an extreme version of this is "The Matrix", that we're in the middle of super-gigantic simulation.

Without going into detail, I have a notion this is a wrong-headed notion because of Godel's theorem , but I would like to hear from more knowledgeable people than I about the pros and especially cons of this idea.

The Universe has to be computable otherwise it wouldn't be able to sustain itself within reality.

Whether the Universe is actually the product of an external force that is doing the computations, is a more philosophical matter. Probably something concerning the ontological properties of cutlery.

(logic of dominoes)

Everything have an general algorithm in our universe.Everything is connected (no free willing;)).If somthng have no connections than its not existed.So one part of universe can be calculated by other part but the whole universe can not be calculated by itself.

If you want to calculate our universe with a bigger one than they have become a universe because they interacted.

Its like you have a x86 p4 3ghz processor that simulates a pic.But you can not ask it to simulate a x86 p4 3ghz processor.

Hevvy stuff :lol:

(logic of dominoes)

Everything have an general algorithm in our universe.Everything is connected (no free willing;)).If somthng have no connections than its not existed.So one part of universe can be calculated by other part but the whole universe can not be calculated by itself.

If you want to calculate our universe with a bigger one than they have become a universe because they interacted.

Its like you have a x86 p4 3ghz processor that simulates a pic.But you can not ask it to simulate a x86 p4 3ghz processor.

Hevvy stuff :lol:

Interesting and reasonable notion. However, if one concedes (which I don't necessarily) that the Universe (big U!) is computable, then that which is outside the Universe (i.e. God) is that which is the programmer.

Sorry I am always late to check the answers.

I painted a pic to illustrate what i think. As a summary god can't be out of the Universe that its effecting.

postox.jpg

By the way thank you i never realized to use upper U after 'the' :doh:. I'm not a native eng.

Edited by emrekanca