I Need a Hobby

Luckygamer

I'm a bored college student. I'm going to school for Chemical Engineering and I'm looking for some fun projects to do. I don't want anything crazy hard or expensive, just something to take up some free time. I was thinking about growing bacteria or something like that. Any good science DIY projects?

The most fun I had lately was to build my own Van der Graaff generator.

I used this website, because all the parts needed (except the electromotor) can be easily obtained... :)

The motor excluded, the whole thing probably cost me less than 10 euro.

Bottle rockets also kept me amused while being a student. There's a surprising lot of science behind it, which you can ignore completely if you like :)

I'm a bored college student. I'm going to school for Chemical Engineering and I'm looking for some fun projects to do. I don't want anything crazy hard or expensive, just something to take up some free time. I was thinking about growing bacteria or something like that. Any good science DIY projects?

It might be a fun idea to get into some non-science hobbies. It could broaden your horizons a little bit.

I note that the question was about "science DIY projects"...

But at the same time I agree with -Demosthenes-. I guess traveling is the best hobby to (literally) broaden your horizons!

So you have free time. How lucky you are!

I propose one thing:

Cook.

Get a small fish tank, it can be as simple as a Betta in a bowl or as complex as a small polyp stony coral tank. Lots of science involved, chemistry and biology as well as some simple physics, at least if you are like me and want to know why everything works the way it does and design better ways of making and doing things. I enjoy making my own equipment.