Mobile phone charging heat: If you want to charge your phone put it in your pocket!!

tatu22

Mobile phone charging heat: If you want to charge your phone put it in your pocket!!

dzn_Nokia-E-Cu-by-Patrick-Hyland04.jpg

The picture you watch above is the design of phone carries the name of the Nokia E-Cu and the advantage of being shipped by heat, where the idea that the work on the existence of generators thermal covers your phone and you convert heat into electrical energy, so if you want to charge your phone all you need to do is put it in your pocket!

The idea of creation of British designer who wanted Patrick Helland from which he drew attention to the impact of waste electrical chargers on the environment.dzn_Nokia-E-Cu-by-Patrick-Hyland03.jpg

The body of the phone was designed from copper and carved on its surface cracks cracks like dry earth to express the impact of pollution and global warming on our planetdzn_Nokia-E-Cu-by-Patrick-Hyland06.jpg

As for the name Vtm called Nokia E-Cu because the e stands for environment environment Cu symbol for copper.

dzn_Nokia-E-Cu-by-Patrick-Hyland01.jpg

Says designer phone that Chargers mobile phones that do not work a 51 000 tons of waste each year, as well as they lead to increased carbon emissions through the generation of electricity consumed for the shipment of phones, so it made Patrick Helland this phone which does not need a charger because the ship itself.

dzn_Nokia-E-Cu-by-Patrick-Hylandsq02.jpg

(Source)

• 2 weeks later...

You need a temperature difference to make electricity.

I cannot see where the phone would be at two different temperatures at the same time (unless it cools down or heats up really quickly on the outside, while having a buffer internally). But even then, it would run out of battery if the outside temperature approaches 37 deg C.

jimmydasaint, it doesn't look more fragile than any other modern phone. In fact, the front side (keypad and screen) look very ordinary to me. It's the back side that is "new" because it's made of metal (I guess all metals will work because of the high heat conductivity).

At the moment it is just a vague idea by a designer rather than an engineer. I get the impression that the Nokia name is purely hype by the designer ("The Nokia E-Cu phone, which borrows the Finnish phone giant’s moniker for its name and logo") - and frankly I cannot see Nokia or anyone else making this work. Thermogenerators are pretty inefficient, need higher temperatures, and just wouldn't produce enough juice.

wired article http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-10/07/concept-body-heat-phone

designers blog http://patrickhylandproductdesign.blogspot.com/2010/10/nokia-e-cu-concept-nokia-e-cu-e-for.html#comments

The Seebeck effect varies as T^2, which is one reason you normally see very large temperature differences in devices that use it. The designer never shows his calculation for the power output — in places where this story shows up, he has written (in effect) "the technology is viable" and "contact me for details." Which, to me, translates as "I need to find someone who can improve the efficiency a few orders of magnitude." If it were truly viable, why not to show the calculation?

[math]P = \frac{(2 \alpha \Delta T)^2}{4R}[/math]

alpha is the Seebeck coefficient, which seems to be some tens of microVolts per Kelvin for good devices (Copper is 6.5). R is the resistance of the elements in the device (which tends to go up for good devices). That would need to be milliOhm-ish to get you a milliWatt of output power at a 17 degree temperature difference.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Crtjc-luHlEC&pg=PA479&lpg=PA479&dq=peltier+output+as+a+function+of+temperature&source=bl&ots=2G64a6ul2A&sig=pv0ChGL5YK67CB8I-ifmuYHQqj4&hl=en&ei=1lDITKqDBYWKlwecl834Ag&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=peltier%20output%20as%20a%20function%20of%20temperature&f=false

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.