anime

Mr Rayon

I don't see much benefit in learning anything scientific from Anime other than it might give you some ideas or a starting point for interesting concepts thus creating an interest in the sciences; Of note is "Planetes" which is a story about "space debris collection" circa 2079 which is often credited for it's realistic portrayal of space exploration.

http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=713

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planetes-Complete-Collection-Region-NTSC/dp/B000HT3876/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1286897823&sr=1-2

I Suppose further to this would possibly Masamune Shirows Ghost in the shell series, which details with the continuing "Cyberisation" of the human race, it shows in depth dipictions of cybernetic implants and full cyborg humans while at the same time discussing the ethics of such a thing. A lot of anime concepts are relevent in science, just perhaps not readily applicable.

Edited by Leader Bee

I suppose one could look at it within the context of the overall benefits of entertainment in general. I've wondered for a while now how it's possible that so much more money is being spent on entertainment compared with, say, 30 years ago. Seems like every weekend we hear about a new movie or video game making a hundred million dollars or more. Do people have more free time on their hands, or are they just channeling time they used to spend on activities that were essentially free into activities that now produce more sales?

I suppose one could look at it within the context of the overall benefits of entertainment in general. I've wondered for a while now how it's possible that so much more money is being spent on entertainment compared with, say, 30 years ago. Seems like every weekend we hear about a new movie or video game making a hundred million dollars or more. Do people have more free time on their hands, or are they just channeling time they used to spend on activities that were essentially free into activities that now produce more sales?

Mankind has become more efficient at doing research (automatization in labs, computers, and increased population), at production of goods and argicultural products (automization again)... And we dedicated all that extra time to jobs in management, the financial sector and indeed entertainment.

Where we used to require a large majority of our population to produce something useful, we're now so efficient that we can allow some entertainers to become professionals. In our system, that means we're able to pay for it.

In addition, I sometimes get the impression that we're all a little decadent. We're happy, content consumers. We're so rich that there is less interest in moving forward... in such a world, it's logical that the entertainment industry thrives.

Remark on topic: In the days when I watched cartoons (and some looked a lot like what is now categorized as "anime"), some cartoons were very educational - about space, but also biology. I am not sure that there is a lot of value in watching anime now... but that's because I don't know much about the latest anime :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mankind has become more efficient at doing research (automatization in labs, computers, and increased population), at production of goods and argicultural products (automization again)... And we dedicated all that extra time to jobs in management, the financial sector and indeed entertainment.

Where we used to require a large majority of our population to produce something useful, we're now so efficient that we can allow some entertainers to become professionals. In our system, that means we're able to pay for it.

In addition, I sometimes get the impression that we're all a little decadent. We're happy, content consumers. We're so rich that there is less interest in moving forward... in such a world, it's logical that the entertainment industry thrives.

Remark on topic: In the days when I watched cartoons (and some looked a lot like what is now categorized as "anime"), some cartoons were very educational - about space, but also biology. I am not sure that there is a lot of value in watching anime now... but that's because I don't know much about the latest anime :)

Anime is usually characterized as japanese "cartoons" and very often have large eyes. Not much anime really have much educational prupose, but some, like Fullmetal Alchemist (my favorite) can teach alot of sci-fi, philosophy and pseudo-science.