DESTRUCTION of YOUTH

rigney

While reading the morning news, I came across this article. I'll not comment on the issue because I'm very reactive and would rather have the reasoning of others, than mine. The old connect was pulled, below is a new one.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-03-31/life-and-death-at-suicide-high/

Edited by rigney

I'll be quite crude.

1. when you commit suicide, you lose. All those who commit suicide as a form of punishment or revenge against the others, don't understand anything.

2. At least, if you want to suicide, lets choose a way you won't suffer. Hanging yourself is a horribly long & painful death. The correct way to execute someone by hanging consists at breaking his neck when falling, and thus to provoque instantaneous death. Not to suffocate for long minutes.

The Ancient Greeks, who may well have been the most intelligent society that ever lived on Earth, said in their Myth of Silenus: "The best thing for humanity is never to have been born, but failing that, the next best thing is to die as young as possible." I have always doubted that life is on balance a positive experience, given that we seem always to experience the bad things that happen much more intensely than the good things, and that more bad things happen than good in any case. The only certainty we have in life is what we most fear, which is death, so already the game is rigged against our being happy.

However, that said, it is rarely the case that teen suicides are rational. I read of a case once of a young teenage girl living in an orphanage who killed herself, according to her suicide note, because the orphanage officials refused to allow her to have the more stylish type of eyeglasses that she wanted. Even if the Ancient Greeks were right and life is not worth living, since suicide is a major and irrevocable step, it is important to ensure that it is the product of serious, rational deliberation, and teenagers should be warned that they are likely to lack the proper perspective on life to decide accurately when suicide is necessary.

I'll be quite crude.

1. when you commit suicide, you lose. All those who commit suicide as a form of punishment or revenge against the others, don't understand anything.

2. At least, if you want to suicide, lets choose a way you won't suffer. Hanging yourself is a horribly long & painful death. The correct way to execute someone by hanging consists at breaking his neck when falling, and thus to provoque instantaneous death. Not to suffocate for long minutes.

I've been told of the process many times and understand it not to be the falling that breaks your neck, but the sudden stop at the end of the rope, and the quick jerk! But then, even a second to think about eternity is total tragedy in a teens life? Much too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed you were. I don't think it is your place to judge the motives of those who don't want to live any more.

I think it is very much the place of every thinking human to rail against the stupidity and waste of a youthful suicide. So I applaud and commend Michel for being crude.

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The Ancient Greeks, who may well have been the most intelligent society that ever lived on Earth, said in their Myth of Silenus: "The best thing for humanity is never to have been born, but failing that, the next best thing is to die as young as possible." I have always doubted that life is on balance a positive experience, given that we seem always to experience the bad things that happen much more intensely than the good things, and that more bad things happen than good in any case. The only certainty we have in life is what we most fear, which is death, so already the game is rigged against our being happy.

However, that said, it is rarely the case that teen suicides are rational. I read of a case once of a young teenage girl living in an orphanage who killed herself, according to her suicide note, because the orphanage officials refused to allow her to have the more stylish type of eyeglasses that she wanted. Even if the Ancient Greeks were right and life is not worth living, since suicide is a major and irrevocable step, it is important to ensure that it is the product of serious, rational deliberation, and teenagers should be warned that they are likely to lack the proper perspective on life to decide accurately when suicide is necessary.

The Ancient Greeks, who may well have been the most intelligent society that ever lived on Earth, said in their Myth of Silenus: "The best thing for humanity is never to have been born, but failing that, the next best thing is to die as young as possible."

What a pity that brilliance could have been followed by such stupid statement.

The Ancient Greeks, who may well have been the most intelligent society that ever lived on Earth, said in their Myth of Silenus: "The best thing for humanity is never to have been born, but failing that, the next best thing is to die as young as possible."

What a pity that brilliance could have been followed by such stupid statement.

These were the words of Silenus, who belongs amongst the many divinities (a drunken god)of ancient Greece, speaking about men. These are not words expressing some kind of human philosophy.

These were the words of Silenus, who belongs amongst the many divinities (a drunken god)of ancient Greece, speaking about men. These are not words expressing some kind of human philosophy.

That is exactly why I made the statement. How can people of such brilliance write absolute gibberish and blame it on a madeup divinity. I don't believe Opollo, Zeus, Mercury, Atlas or any of those gods ever wrote a single word, philosophical or otherwise? Yet, Silenus and I share a lot in common. "Roll out the barrel"!14%.

Edited by rigney