the fabric of the space-time continuum

i did a little research and i know there are four dimensions length,width,hieght,and time, i am still not sure can you help me out here

LorentzianWormhole.jpg

what i also know wormholes are bends but can block holes just be longer i mean we have never went in one so that is a possibility that it is just a long wormhole

what i also know wormholes are bends but can block holes just be longer i mean we have never went in one so that is a possibility that it is just a long wormhole

We do not know if wormholes can exist. The best current answer is "it looks unlikely". A black hole is not a wormhole and it is formed very differently. A black hole is just something that has so much mass and density that light cannot escape. For a wormhole to exist, the equations seem to suggest that you would need some material with "negative energy" and no such thing is known in the universe.

• 3 weeks later...

Are wormholes supposed to be tunnels through the space time fabric? Would traveling through a wormhole be like traveling through normal spacetime only suddenly you are encountered with very different surroundings?

Spacetime curvature has always struck me to have this effect potentially, without there having to be "holes" or "tunnels" through it. After all, spacetime seems to have topology, which could be as complex as a mountain range and yet be invisible. So if you think about traveling along the ridge of a mountain or going down through the valley and up to the other side of the ridge, you have two very different trajectories between the same two points.

then if there is dark energie there is wormholes right?

No. Wormholes are unrelated to "Dark Energy". Dark Energy is just a weird name that astronomers give to something they don't fully understand: Why is the universe expansion accelerating?

No. Wormholes are unrelated to "Dark Energy". Dark Energy is just a weird name that astronomers give to something they don't fully understand: Why is the universe expansion accelerating?

I thought the logic was that there seems to be more gravitation present than observed matter to attribute that gravitation to. So "dark" refers to the fact that there's something causing gravitation that is not emitting or reflecting/re-emitting light. This was my impression anyway.

I wonder if gravitation could tunnel through wormholes and cause otherwise distant masses to interact gravitationally in ways that wouldn't be apparent by viewing them from a distance.

Edited by lemur

I thought the logic was that there seems to be more gravitation present than observed matter to attribute that gravitation to. So "dark" refers to the fact that there's something causing gravitation that is not emitting or reflecting/re-emitting light. This was my impression anyway.
That would be dark matter you speak of - yet another thing.

To follow up on Timo's post - for dark matter the idea is that there is actually matter out there and we cannot see it cos it is dark; for dark energy, all we know is that rate of expansion is accelerating more than it should (and it was a very crap choice of name). The dark energy name gives the impression of similar yet opposite to dark matter - whereas this is not known/thought to be the case