• 4 weeks later...

There are only a handful of cases where a sneeze (or suppression of a sneeze) have caused an aneurysm (which could be burst by any [suppressed] sneeze afterwards). But, if you suppress a sneeze by holding your nose, the increased chest pressure could do the trick.

As for the eyes popping out... Absolutely not.

You would have to have weak bones, but yes, it is possible.

Edited by Aryth

• 1 month later...

Well these are cases of extreme and do not occur daily. You can fracture a bone by holding your sneeze only if you got some very weak bones. The bursting of blood vessels may occur but let me explain a point. What do you mean by holding your sneeze. You will only get your bone broken or a blood vessel ruptured if you close your nose and mouth with your hands. If you are not closing you nose and mouth through some external force you cannot hold your sneeze. Sometimes people try to stop their sneeze from coming. This cannot rupture your blood vessel of fracture your bone. So don't worry because I haven't seen anybody trying to hold his sneeze.

I understand that a natural reflex closes your eyes when you sneeze - perhaps that's how the idea that you could damage your eyes if they didn't close came about?

I think you are absolutely correct. Sometimes mothers tell such things to their children so that they should never try it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen older patients with osteoporosis that fractured a rib after a strong sneeze. But not normal healthy people.

Also, while on the subject, it is possible to fracture your ethmoid bone after blowing your nose (or blocking it during a sneeze) with air escaping under the skin and making your face look swollen, even in young people. These are true, rare, medical cases.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen older patients with osteoporosis that fractured a rib after a strong sneeze. But not normal healthy people.

Also, while on the subject, it is possible to fracture your ethmoid bone after blowing your nose (or blocking it during a sneeze) with air escaping under the skin and making your face look swollen, even in young people. These are true, rare, medical cases.

I have never heard of a the possibility of an ethmoid fracture with blowing of nose. If you know of any reasonable reference, please share it with me. I will love to read about it.