Can we live on mars in the future?

Piccolo

Maybe, but first we would have to transport supplies and people. That will need to be practical first. And the question remains... what purpose would it serve humanity to populate another planet. I mean overpopulation is a problem that has no end in expansion.... only control. We could, in theory, populate all physical space... and we would still reproduce. The answer to overpopulation is control, not colonizing another planet. Otherwise there isn't any practical reason to "move" to Mars.

Yes.

One way would be to start pumping Carbon-Dioxide to create a atmoshepe is about five-hundred years.

Another way we could colonize Mars would be if we lived under the surface. If Mars had volcanic activity at one point (and water). Then underground tunnels (large cave structures; can not thing of the real name. *like one's found in Tenneesse*) should be many and large as FUCK.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is fairly dangerous. I mean, we need to fully analyze the repurcuttions [pardon my spelling] of populating Mars. By taking resources from Earth onto Mars, we're depleting Earth of its natural resources.

Originally posted by PogoC7

Yes.

One way would be to start pumping Carbon-Dioxide to create a atmoshepe is about five-hundred years.

Another way we could colonize Mars would be if we lived under the surface. If Mars had volcanic activity at one point (and water). Then underground tunnels (large cave structures; can not thing of the real name. *like one's found in Tenneesse*) should be many and large as FUCK.

I believe that this wouldn't work, as the atmosphere would be stripped off by the solar wind, as mars doesn't have a large enough magnetic field to divert it.

Originally posted by fafalone

One would think that its magnetic field would be constant over time, so why would it be that in the past, it would have had an atmosphere, but its impossible to create one now?

Well, it doesn't have much of one now, does it?

Things can happen to magnetic fields....

I believe we could make Mars habitable if we really wanted to. Its more a question of having the will.

Do we have the grit, vision and determination to spend vast sums of money, years of labour and intellectual effort to do it. Considering that the effort would probably take centuries, or at the least, decades i rather doubt our species has what it takes.

We still haven't got around the problem of keeping the atmosphere in place. Without a stable magnetic field sufficient to deflect the solar wind it will be torn away faster than we can produce it.

BTW - why is this in pseudoscience? Surely it's Astophysics?